General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jun-15 16:55:50
Print Post

Pembroke (SWPM) Capacity Issues?

[link to this post]

My speeds have been all over the place recently (for several weeks), usually hovering below the 30 meg level, TAP 3 test highlights poor throughput, and the HG612 reports a sync of 65999. Some nights the speed is down to single digits - I could be back on ADSL!

My ISP (Vivaciti) tell me that there is apparently a capacity issue that BTw need to address and that the next update on this will be Thursday next week. I know there are several others on the same exchange that post here so I was wondering if anyone else locally is having a similar experience, There was a time this was easily checkable through the Plusnet status service but then BTw removed the information from the public domain - obviously preferring to obscure the reason for performance issues.

You would have thought that a "world leader in telecoms" would use some reasonable skill and care to anticipate issues like this (in the service they sell) and plan capacity upgrades instead of this attitude of wandering over to the stable door when the horse has long since bolted - taking the performance with it!

I guess it is better for them to be billing our ISP's for service levels they are not delivering - in my case anything over 40 megs seems unattainable because of this issue, and yet they are happily billing Vivaciti for the full up-to 80 megs service that should be giving well north of 50 megs on my line.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - a lot less red these days
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jun-15 23:10:38
Print Post

the plot thickens

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Just love this broadband farce.

Last week I was told by my ISP that the speedtests I had run indicated I was on a hot VLAN, they checked and found that it was on a list for attention, tonight I called my ISP for an update. They checked and found it had disappeared from the list, and BT are now saying that they need to send an SFI out to check my set up.

According to my ISP, the many Tap3 tests I have run clearly show its NOT the line but a capacity issue. meanwhile BTw happily charge for a service they must know they are not delivering. nice work if you can get it.

Ironically today the media was full of the new OFCOM regs about dissolving a contract if speeds dont measure up to what they are supposed to be, isnt it a shame that OFCOM are not as keen to puch BT for thier shortcomings - which are often the cause of speed issues. right now my line returns anything between 62 megs and 7 megs depending on the time of day. Im sure my ip Profile has been lowered as well.

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 14:18:35
Print Post

Re: the plot thickens

Talked to ISP last night... the dreaded three letters intruded into the conversation..... Stupid Farcical Irritation. BTw are claiming that the hot Vlan issue has been cleared, and my problems must lay elsewhere, well I have unlocked the HG 612 and can see a sync of 66999 which hasn't changed in weeks but what I really notice is that the connection performs fine early in the morning before I go to work, Throughput speed is noticeably lower when I get home late afternoon and drops as the evening progresses until late in the evening when it returns towards normal level, Now isn't that a perplexing problem never before encountered?

I have started collecting speedtest results as last night the tech support guy couldn't see a Tap3 result from a test I ran 30 mins previously - in itself disturbing - so I have started to log results myself, starting with the "missing" and to illustrate just part of one day here are todays so far..... I have called the tests differently as no one else here is confident in altering modem settings so although the second test was below IP Profile a tap3 wasn't run.

IP Profile 64.85 Mbps Down - 20Mbps Up

Tap 3 test 1 18.44 12/6/15 Result 11.36Mbps down - 1.33Mbps up.
Ordinary Test 07.41 13/6/15 Result 63.76Mbps down - 13.85Mbps up
Ordinary Test 10.40 13/06/15 Result 45.37Mbps down - 13.67 Up
Tap 3 Test 2 13.27 13/6/15 Result 25.16<bps down - 0.83Mbps up

This is typical of what I have been seeing for a few weeks on a daily basis.
Looks more like a capacity issue than a line fault wouldn't you think? At busy times speed disappears and at quiet times I'm getting topside of 60Mbps throughput. I'm reluctant to lose more time at work for an "SFI" visit for someone to come in , plug in a laptop in place of my modem, run a few tests and go away that there is no defect he can find as has happened so many times with the line drop issue that has plagued my line since broadband started.

Life was so simple on dial up, the problems were cured by a simple gain boost, so even on dial up the line has given problems..... I have been trying to get broadband stability fixed since around 2001.

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jun-15 14:25:49
Print Post

Ask the provider to get BT to detail the current provisioned SFBB capacity at the cabinet and what the utilisation is.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 22:15:57
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Ask the provider to get BT to detail the current provisioned SFBB capacity at the cabinet and what the utilisation is. Matt

Ok... As you have raised this point I get an idea you feel this information should be available, however a call to my ISP just now met with a stone wall.
That information wouldn't be provided to us, Bt Openreach would check the virtual path and decide if there was action needed.

Right now I am paying over £30 a month for a connection that this evening is matching my old ADSL2 connection at 7Mbps, this measured over a PPPOE connection from my laptop via a new cat 6 ethernet cable into the HG612.

The ISP are adamant the next step is to lose ANOTHER half day for an SFI visit, I told them I was considering the future of this connection, certainly I wont be staying with them at the end of the year... assuming I stay that long.

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jun-15 22:18:07
Print Post

Yes, it is! They'll need to be a bit more persistent.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 13-Jun-15 22:27:13
Print Post

Sorry to but in here but @uno not accepting PM's...

Matt, Any word on the launch (rebrand) completion date for Broadband yet?

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 3700/768 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
Plusnet Fibre Extra 65000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 22:28:31
Print Post

And therein is one of the problems, disinterested support.

To add insult to injury, I had to disconnect the router tonight as the connection didn't seem to drop when I wanted to try the pppoe from my laptop, when I ran the test my IP profile has been lowered. Im no more than 350 metres from the cabinet so its not like I'm on the edge of capability.

I just ran a test vis the tester here, 13.8 bursting to 16.7 down, 6.6 to 17.9 up.

Just what I need.. more upload than download but its better than the last tap3 test... @ 21.35 13/6/15 Result 7.01Mbps down - 2.07Mbps up.

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 23:14:35
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

BTw site wont even let me run a tap3 test now... what a crock "currently unable to test your connection" or words to that effect.

The test I ran at 23.10 returned 8.31 down 14.08 up - I can only wonder what the tap3 would have returned.

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jun-15 06:53:34
Print Post

At 1 am... BTw returns a result of 55Mbps, by 6.45 am this had risen to 60Mbps....

I just ran a test here too and that shows 57.7 bursting to 59 down - 14.6 bursting to 20.4 up.

Hmmmmmmm

VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC

Edited by warweezil (Sun 14-Jun-15 06:59:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to