General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jun-15 13:17:09
Print Post

Takeover of BT by DT rumours

[link to this post]

Following on from BT buying EE from Deutsche Telekom, due to complete next year, DT will have a 12% stake. They are trying to sell off their US assets and the rumour is BT would be where they would spend the proceeds.

Link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 14:21:25
Print Post

Re: Takeover of BT by DT rumours

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah, so its now public, I was told this from an BTOR Guy a few Months ago along with BT selling off Openreach.

Paul
Standard User btbert
(committed) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:19:57
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Why would BT sell off OR when we make money ? And you wants to take on BTOR pension liability ?

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:24:52
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by btbert:
Why would BT sell off OR when we make money ? And you wants to take on BTOR pension liability ?
I am only going by what I was told.

Maybe its due to Ofcom moaning and this would "fully" separate BT from Openreach.

Who knows, like I said I am only going by what the BTOR Engineer told me and he was right with the other stuff that he told me.

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:29:17
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

TUPE the employees across then terminate them - end of pension liability.
Standard User Icaras
(member) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:37:35
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

I really doubt BT would sell off Openreach. The CEO ahead made it quite clear to staff internally they certainly don't want to sell off Openreach, it's very profitable.

The DT thing is possible I guess, to be honest I kind of hoped BT Group was getting too big to be taken over. Apparently not.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:47:34
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
The DT thing is possible I guess, to be honest I kind of hoped BT Group was getting too big to be taken over. Apparently not.
You'll just have to vote to leave the EU. That (if done collectively) would scupper it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 08-Jun-15 18:57:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I kind of hoped BT Group was getting too big to be taken over.

Nothing is too big to be taken over in our global-facing Britain! We've flogged our railways, our power supplies, our fisheries, our water suppliers, our airports, our docks, our football teams, so why stop at telecoms?

Only the MPs and the Royal Family are safe ... hold on. Those nice folk in Quatar, having bought the World Cup, have slipped us a few £million to rebuild the Castle of Mey, one of the Windsors' Scottish pads. Our next lot is Buck House? Surely not?
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 08-Jun-15 19:27:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Just how would TUPE help when the great majority of the pension liability is being incurred from people who've already retired? (At the time of privatisation, the organisation had 260,000 employees whilst now - in the UK - it's more like 85,000). Also, TUPE does not do anything for any pension benefits accrued to date. There is no way to force TUPEd employees to forgo those existing benefits. Also, the BT pension scheme has (for several years) been restructured to a much less beneficial career average pension scheme with higher rates of contribution.

So, even excluding some of the legal and industrial relations issues, your proposal would achieve very little, if anything, in the nature of responsibility for the pension deficit.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 08-Jun-15 21:25:13
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Existing pension liability will be covered by the Pension Protection Fund.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to