General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-15 08:05:35
Print Post

BT OR

[link to this post]

Currently have a phone line fault no dial tone and secondly no BB and awaiting for OR to assign an engineer to the job, reported fault to PN on the 28th June, in general terms is there a shortage of OR engineers I guess it will vary from area to area in the UK.

When I had line rental with BT retail, admittedly around twenty months ago, never had to wait more than three to four days for faults to be fixed.

plusnet user
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jul-15 08:23:50
Print Post

Re: BT OR

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Been lots of storms recently so probably backlog of faults to repair
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-15 08:35:47
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:

Possibly if OR engineers have to go to help out in other areas affected by the storms, the weather on the whole up here has been more settled due to the lower temperatures on average compared to those further South laugh

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 06-Jul-15 08:55:31
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Agreed, due to that storm the other night which looked great to watch and also cooled us down from all that hot weather we had LOL, however our ADSL connection dropped from 5.5Mbps down to 3.8Mbps, I know its only dropped by 1.7Mbps but that's a lot for an ADSL connection that is on the slow side to begin with, anyhow it has only just got back to just over 4.8Mbps so probably over the next few days it should hopefully be back to normal.
I would normally of reported it to BT but have in the past been told no fault found.

But where the original poster says that they have no dial tone or BB, it could be outside or on the Master Socket (NTE5A) several years ago we had a very bad storm right above our house and it was like FLASH/BANG and no line.
Called BT on mobile and reported fault which we had to wait 24 to 48 hours, luckily BTOR came the next day did some tests and it seemed it was our master socket that was at fault (i.e. one of the components had died on it), luckily our BTOR Engineer just replaced it and we was all back up running in a few mins.

Now this has happened several times now and each time its been the NTE5A Master Socket, so saving on calling BT to send out an engineer I have just replaced the entire box and on one occasion I have replaced all the internal wiring between the BT80(B) box to the NTE5A Master Socket myself and all is dandy, plus I can spend a lot longer making it look nice and tidy where as the engineer has a set time before their next job which sometimes results in a messy job.

Also if you are lucky you can sometimes just ask for a NTE5A and also the BT80(B) boxes from a BTOR engineer, 4 time out of the 6 times asked I have been given a box for free, the other 2 times I had to buy them for a few quid from Amazon.

I would only try and replace them if you are confident in doing so because if you make it worse they would know LOL and you WILL be charged for the fault.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Jul-15 09:06:32
Print Post

Assigning an engineer should be pretty easy, if workload is high should just mean appt is further away.

Make sure to enquire about compensation too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(regular) Mon 06-Jul-15 09:20:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Currently have a phone line fault no dial tone and secondly no BB and awaiting for OR to assign an engineer to the job, reported fault to PN on the 28th June..... line rental with BT retail, admittedly around twenty months ago, never had to wait more than three to four days for faults to be fixed.

When we lived in a small village at the end of a 4km line to the exchange faults after thunderstorms, high winds, whatever often meant two or three phones in the village would be off

It was quite amazing how long it took OR to respond to some faults and it became clear that some ISPs took a great deal longer to report a fault to OR than others. With BT this delay does not occur sometimes saving three or four days in resolution. In addition you can contact BT yourself to chase resolution while they obviously don't talk to customers of other networks
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-15 11:06:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT OR informed PN when asked that an engineer was off sick so the first appointment had to be cancelled, an engineer was supposed to be on the job the following day but it doesn't look as though that was possible either.

The other problem for the OR engineer and perhaps me is that the fault is intermittent, there can be no dial tone for 20 hours then it comes back on only to go off again, these intervals are long not short.

plusnet user
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jul-15 20:02:45
Print Post

Update

A BT Openreach engineer arrived around 4.10pm this afternoon the 8th of July to check out the reported fault which was eventually found after some outside line and connection checks plus internal checks of NTE5 and indoor cable routing by Openreach and a repair was then completed.
As mentioned the fault was initially reported to PN on the 28th June and then PN raised the fault to Openreach.

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 08-Jul-15 20:04:58)

Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:03:16
Print Post

Re: Update

Did it all get sorted in that OR visit, and what was the problem, did they explain it?
I'm still waiting for my line fault to be fixed from July 1st. Twice OR have told my ISP EE that they have fixed my line fault but we still have no dial tone (BB works ok) and the wait continues...

Dave

EE ADSL2+ 7.8 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up

Edited by GorillaWheels (Sun 12-Jul-15 14:07:39)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:20:07
Print Post

Re: Update

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

The fault was fixed in the one visit, the cable from the back of the NTE5 to an outside OR weather proof box was replaced, that was the message passed on to me, and the phone line connection is still working.

plusnet user
  Print Thread

Jump to