General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Tue 07-Jul-15 10:43:56
Print Post

External NTE?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Just moved house and I've been greeted with one of those external NTE's frown Can anyone advise what the usual process is for an FTTC install these days with an external NTE? I know zen do wires-only for FTTC however I am concerned that the external NTE will cause poor performance. Would this automatically qualify for an engineer install or would this be chargable?

Thanks in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 10:47:52
Print Post

Re: External NTE?

[re: Deep_Blue] [link to this post]

One pair of wires from the external NTE to a normal master with VDSL2 faceplate inside the property with any extensions running from this internal master should be the best solution.

So the question really is more about how the telephone wiring is already done in the house.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:16:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

The extensions are wired using twisted pair cable, I've had the a look behind the sockets and they all appear to be wired individually. The socket adjacent to the outside wall with the NTE has a cable and I can see the remaining two cables in there which service the other two extensions in the house.

If I mention this to my ISP will they book the relevant install for my situation or will I need to request an Engineer install to get the VDSL2 faceplate?

Many thanks!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:22:25
Print Post

Your choice with an external NTE, i.e. order engineer install (ISP may charge cost to them is £99+VAT compared to standard £49+VAT) or source the NTE yourself off Amazon and rewire everything to the optimum.

If it was just one phone socket in the house then a microfilter would have sufficed, if the other phone extensions are not needed you could just disconnect them at the external NTE

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 12:37:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If he doesn't disconnect them, or alternatively wire through the walls to get to the faceplate of the proposed NTE5, he is going to have star wiring. On top of two masters anyway.

I don't like the sound of that.

Re the two masters, I'm sure there was a post within the last 12 months on how to "demaster" the external NTE. I haven't searched for it yet.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 12:42:40
Print Post

You need to discuss it with Zen. Plus I'd want it to be a real Openreach engineer, who I believe should bypass the eNTE and fit the NTE5+Filter+faceplate+extension connections (if the latter are needed). The nasty there is that the extension wiring is external as well. They may not want to do that.

Kelly's/Quinn's may just do as MrSaffron suggested. (See my reply to that).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Tue 07-Jul-15 12:53:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

After having had DECT phones for years, I'd be happy to sacrifice additional extensions. I think the best bet here is to speak to Zen and arrange for an Openreach install.
Standard User bigwest
(regular) Tue 07-Jul-15 13:30:58
Print Post

Just bypass the External NTE with jelly crimps and install a new NTE5 inside. That's what I did and it fixed a HR fault that several engineer visits had been unable to fix.
Standard User btbert
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-15 19:01:18
Print Post

[re: bigwest] [link to this post]

Thats what we would do .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 19:05:14
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

A hypothetical question though btbert. What would you do if the user wanted those two externally-run extensions to remain operational? All I can think of would be to add a bit of cable through the wall to connect them to the NTE5A, but would that fall with the job spec?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to