General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 16:47:46
Print Post

Switching broadband and phone

[link to this post]

I have just decided to switch my broadband and phone provider, Plusnet for Zen.
The new switching process seemed simple when I read it but already I have hit a snag. Zen has emailed me to say my broadband order has been cancelled by BT as they will only allow one order to progress at a time and as my phone line switch has started first that will have to complete before the switch of my Broadband can proceed.
Apparently nothing can be done about this so it will now take at least 21 days for my new broadband service to go live. This is more than a little annoying as it is my poor Broadband service from Plusnet that has prompted the move.
Have others come across this switching snag?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 17:17:40
Print Post

Re: Switching broadband and phone

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

Is PlusNet doing both phone and broadband now, or is BT your voice line rental provider?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User corsa57
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:09:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Plusnet was doing both.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:12:53
Print Post

In which case should have gone smoothly as per processes, but without seeing what orders the new provider has placed hard to say for sure.

Under old system this was not uncommon, and as a lot of the back end systems are still the same some providers may still be doing stuff the old ways.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:35:07
Print Post

Ofcom General Condition 22.14, September 2014
22.14 Where a Gaining Provider elects to co-ordinate a Communications Provider Migration on behalf of a Customer who has requested a transfer of Broadband and Fixed-line Telecommunications Services to be provided by it over the same line, it shall ensure that, where applicable, an order is submitted to Openreach, where available, for the simultaneous transfer with minimal loss of service of both Communications Services.
That's what is called (for short) a SIM Transfer. It needs the gaining ISP to submit an Order to Openreach asking for a SORN (Simultaneous Order Number). They then submit that special type of order number with their order for the move of the other service.

Openreach then have a mechanism to match the two and do them on the same day.

It sounds as though Zen just submitted two independent orders.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:45:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Yep. And then the ISP will proceed to blame BT since, well, the customer can't prove otherwise.

Oliver.
Standard User corsa57
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 19:15:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your replies.
I have emailed Zen with the info contained in RobertoS post for their comments and will update the post if they reply.
I am now thinking if they cannot get the first step right then maybe I should cancel.
Maybe as usual I have been over confident that the new switching process would work.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 19:24:18
Print Post

Don't forget what MrSaffron said, "Under old system this was not uncommon". Some ISPs never did seem to really get the hang of SIM transfers. They've existed for years.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 07-Jul-15 19:33:16
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Yep. And then the ISP will proceed to blame BT since, well, the customer can't prove otherwise.

Except in this case the ISP has said "broadband order has been cancelled by BT as they will only allow one order to progress at a time ..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 20:05:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Normal behaviour if you try to migrate broadband when phone is already moving and not using sim or lorn process

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to