General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(learned) Sat 11-Jul-15 15:57:50
Print Post

Getting another line installed

[link to this post]

Would i benefit if i got another bt line installed for a 2nd broadband connection? Would my speed theoretically be the same as what im currently getting or will the speed be halved over the new line and current one. I will not benefit from fibre so was wondering if this is an option so the kids could have one broadband line to themselves and me and the mrs can have our own.
Thanks
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 11-Jul-15 16:15:24
Print Post

Re: Getting another line installed

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

If the connections are the same speed (they may not be), you will get double the total throughput. With the right equipment, it is possible to 'bond' the connections so that any device can make use of the increased throughput.

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
Standard User woodmass14
(learned) Sat 11-Jul-15 16:25:42
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

well i've read up on bonding and equipment costs seem costly and to be honest i don't think i have the knowhow to do that, i was just hoping for another line to be installed from the house to the pole outside which also connects to the neighbor's house but he doesn't have phone or broadband, so hoping for 2 master sockets so i connect 2 different broadband connections but wasn't sure if it works like that, i was thinking of asking my neighbor if i could use his line but he ain't very sociable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 16:39:59
Print Post

Mick gave you the right answer to start with.

The bonding part was a bit of extra information as to what you could do if you wanted a faster connection that could be used to its full extent by you when the kids weren't using any of it. (Even that's a big simplification but you don't need it anyway).

To provide a second line to your house should be simply a case of ordering it. I think it would probably use a second pair in your existing cable from the pole, depending on its age (type), condition etc.

You may get a small degradation on your existing line but nothing of practical significance. You may find the second line considerably different, as once it arrives at your cabinet it could have a very different connection back to the exchange. It could be better or worse because of this. Or it may be near enough the same - you just can't forecast it.

Go for it smile.

But - are they likely to run up huge phone bills?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(learned) Sat 11-Jul-15 16:54:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Lol i will most likely not bother connecting a phone , unless they connect there own all should be well.
i'll order a second line, hopefully i get it for free if i order broadband with it aswell, guess we'll see, i'll update when its up and running.
And sorry didn't quite understand Micks answer till i read yours over but understand what he was saying now, thanks to you both smile
Standard User derekdel
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-15 13:08:19
Print Post

I got a second line in years ago and is it a benefit? .... hell yes..... when the service goes down even for a few hours it can be a right PIA.... Always happens at the weekend or so it seems smile

With the amount of equipment using the internet now it makes sense [to me anyway] for a second line, You can get 12 month free deals on some providers so cost could be next to nothing. Swap to a different provider or platform at the end of a contract to keep the cost down [if cost is important]

If you get another line keep your existing line with a decent provider for phone and broadband, use the other line to swap deals and not actually worry about the phone number. ADSL or fibre deals on LLU or BT network.

The reason I say keep one line with a static provider is during a swap over from a provider a good few years ago I lost or sorry they lost a phone number I had for a long time..

A mix up their end cancelled the number and it was gone.

For back up keep the lines on a different supplier say BT for one line using their backhaul [adsl] and Sky for another line using their LLU, that way if there is a exchange problem then both lines may not be affected smile

If someone drives a bus over your cabinet then tough luck tongue or would that matter if it was fibre & adsl hmmmmm

Right now I cant talk as both my lines are in the same place.!!!

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User woodmass14
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:18:51
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reassuring answer, i have had to create another account through BT to get a separate line installed, shame it can't be on the same account and shame im having to pay for line rental twice but every year i just pay for a one of line rental to get it out the way and only have to pay the 6 quid for unlimited broadband plus 100 quid worth of vouchers which i will most likely sell to put into my direct debit account and thats that broadband paid for the year plus more. however i have no llu services at my exchange unfortunately, just good old fashioned bt wholesale ADSL. was with sky years ago then talk talk and would never get above 3 megs plus connection would slow way down during peak times but when i went with bt i started getting around the 6meg mark and surprise surprise no slow down during peak times weirdly enough, so decided to stick with BT for now.
Thanks again for the answer and your experience with a 2nd line broadband smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:27:49
Print Post

You don't need to stick with BT Consumer.

Sky and TalkTalk were notorious for huge under-provision on their non-LLU services, and no longer offer them to new customers at retail level.

There are many good suppliers of BT Wholesale services. Plusnet aren't bad wrt the connection itself, though the Customer Support system is being radically changed to nearly everyone's dismay. Then there a large number of smaller suppliers with reasonable prices but not the big giveaways to joiners.

Avoid the Post Office, as their broadband is now run by TalkTalk and seems to suffer just the same problems as their non-LLU retail service did. I have a feeling Tesco may be heading the same way.

John Lewis may be worth a look next year. Run by Plusnet, but with JL levels of support by the sound of things.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:43:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

i should have probably done more research before committing. i figured bt would have been my best bet as i got a terrible service with the others and miraculously after switching to bt my speeds went up and no slow down during peak times, (bt playing dirty perhaps?) i think ive got 14 days to cancel so i'll definitely see if there's any decent offers out there and read up a bit on Bt wholesale with other providers, sky is a definite no no as they only offer 40gb a month. i think they called it sky connect might have changed now since i last had it though
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:51:04
Print Post

It's Sky Connect that was dreadful.

I'm sure it was stopped, but it does look to be available now
Sky Broadband outside Network area: Connect is available at £17pm with no monthly usage cap (£30 set-up for existing Sky TV customers & customers without Sky TV). Maximum home download speeds up to 6Mbps. Connect subject to a Network Management Policy.
That's not the 40GB you mention though. "Network management Policy" - baadddd news.

The 40GB I think is the low end Sky LLU.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 12-Jul-15 14:53:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to