General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-15 19:24:07
Print Post

New BT adsl connection

[link to this post]

Hi, everyone

After some help.

Moved house 8 days ago, was a FTTC infinity customer at my old house so applied to move my services, FTTC not available at new house so BT offered adsl and was supposed to be connected last night by midnight.

Phone line began working 2 days ago and received new phone number and can make and receive calls although my wife tells me there is a significant echo present, can't confirm it myself presently so that may be a red herring.

The night prior to the activation date I had a brief period of Internet connectivity lasting around ten minutes but nothing since.

Rang BT and spent 20 minutes in total to be told they've contacted their supplier who aren't Openreach and there is a problem with my BB connection and they are due to ring me back on Monday.

I currently have the HH4 connected up and am orange light but also have an Asus DSL-AC68u I could use.

In terms of Master socket I have a drop wire from a telephone pole coming into the house to a matchbox size box which then is connected to a extremely ancient looking BT master socket, from there there is one extension leading off to the lounge about 5M long and with no bell circuit connected.

As far as I'm aware the previous owner had BT broadband as I'm 95% certain I saw a HH when we viewed on each occasion.

I'm a little confused why there should be an issue if the previous owner received BB (100% certain on this) and wondered if anyone can enlighten me.

Is there any diagnostics I can do using my Asus modem router?

My HH4 shows a line connected at ~8000kbps with an upload speed of about half a meg but can't connect to a broadband connection.

Situation is a bit of a pain as I can't get a mobile signal at home so BT's advice to keep.checking online for progress on my broadband is a bit pointless! Occasionally when the sun, moon and stars align I can get a ten minute window of BT Free WiFi via a neighbour.

Any help gratefully received
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sun 12-Jul-15 07:58:15
Print Post

Re: New BT adsl connection

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CHBMB:
My HH4 shows a line connected at ~8000kbps with an upload speed of about half a meg but can't connect to a broadband connection.

So you have sync, just no PPP session. It's likely that your circuit hasn't been built correctly on BT Wholesale's systems.

In other words, it's not a physical fault with the line, it's a configuration issue at the remote end which is why the previous owner had a working connection.
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-15 10:07:30
Print Post

Re: New BT adsl connection

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense. Only stopped with BT as thought it would be the easiest option in terms of transferring a service.

So far they've not managed that at all. Bill incorrect, won't update contact details to new house, not activated service.....

Might as well have gone with another company and saved some money!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to