General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User vit0
(member) Sun 12-Jul-15 21:07:17
Print Post

Openreach FTTC Install (Plusnet)

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm finally ordering FTTC next week, I've previously posted about how BTO think my line goes to PCP23, when it actually goes to PCP15.

Is the connection made live on the fibre cabinet prior to the engineer attending to jumper across? i.e. If an engineer turns up, I tell him it's the wrong cabinet, can he do anything about it on the day? I'm hoping it's not a Kellys engineer, but I presume most installs are nowadays. Can he simply make a call to get the a pair on the fibre cab for PCP15 made live?

Cheers

Lee
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sun 12-Jul-15 22:10:25
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTC Install (Plusnet)

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vit0:
Hello,

I'm finally ordering FTTC next week, I've previously posted about how BTO think my line goes to PCP23, when it actually goes to PCP15.

Is the connection made live on the fibre cabinet prior to the engineer attending to jumper across? i.e. If an engineer turns up, I tell him it's the wrong cabinet, can he do anything about it on the day? I'm hoping it's not a Kellys engineer, but I presume most installs are nowadays. Can he simply make a call to get the a pair on the fibre cab for PCP15 made live?

Cheers

Yes the service is made live at the cabinet before the engineer arrives.

If it's provided on the wrong cabinet, there's absolutely no chance of the engineer being able to do anything about it on the day.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-15 07:19:31
Print Post

The KELLY lad doing my upgrade, connected a Test Phone to the pair he had tentatively identified as being my line, then dialled 17070 to get confirmation or otherwise.

I arrived at the PCP just as that confirmation came through,

Given that it was the correct pair, the whole process took about 5 minutes.

Parking the van probably took longer.

-------------------------

Is there any chance that both PCPs are involved, for example, there has been a fault on the (original) "E-Side" , so your "D-Side" has been extended to pick up an "E-side" pair in the other PCP.

Possibly Zarjaz or others with practical experience could answer that in principle.

Edited by eckiedoo (Mon 13-Jul-15 07:20:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vit0
(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 14:07:39
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:
Hello,

Cheers

Yes the service is made live at the cabinet before the engineer arrives.

If it's provided on the wrong cabinet, there's absolutely no chance of the engineer being able to do anything about it on the day.

If I saw an Openreach engineer on the street and offered him 20 quid, could he correct the line routing there and then?

Lee
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 14:25:52
Print Post

If I saw an Openreach engineer on the street and offered him 20 quid, could he correct the line routing there and then?

He'd get fired on the spot too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 17:32:38
Print Post

You mean as in allocate and connect a different line in the exchange to a different cabinet, then set up a copper link between you and that cabinet?

Errmmm.... Do you see there might be a slight difficulty there? tongue

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vit0
(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 22:02:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You mean as in allocate and connect a different line in the exchange to a different cabinet, then set up a copper link between you and that cabinet?

Errmmm.... Do you see there might be a slight difficulty there? tongue

No no, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't need to do any physical work, I think I'm currently connected to the correct PCP, however the dslchecker still says I'm connected to the wrong PCP.

Lee
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 22:24:35
Print Post

In which case the first reply in the thread applies.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vit0
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 14:42:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In which case the first reply in the thread applies.

No, you've clearly not read my post.

All I want the engineer to do is update their records to show that my line goes to one PCP rather than the other. I mean prior to me even ordering FTTC.

Lee
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-15 15:03:10
Print Post

No that's not possible. They can update the routing but they need the job on their iPhone or laptop, only an actual OR engineer could do it. They can change the E-side to the correct cab (the one you're connected to). But they can't change the fibre routing on the day unfortunately.

So it's definitely worth reminding the OR guy to update the routing, then hopefully when the job goes out again it's routed correctly.
  Print Thread

Jump to