General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 14-Jul-15 02:29:08
Print Post

Range booster best option?

[link to this post]

I am spending time away from home working and the student accomodation I am in has awful wifi signal, works fine on laptop except now and again speed drops to zero(other tenants report same thing)

Desktop however is a nightmare as I have to have desktop in middle of floor to get a constant signal, anywhere else such as next to furniture and the signal is there but its limited.

I have a TP Link I bought 2 years ago when I used tethering on my phone as had slow landline at that property so its just a case on configuring it, but is that the best answer?

My plan is to have a wired connection from the extender into a gigabit switch and have the switch conencted to my tv and computer by ethernet so its just a case of working out how to configure it best.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 08:59:25
Print Post

Re: Range booster best option?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Sorry, I can't resist this. How student life has changed since my day! smile smile

No such thing as mobile phones, no such thing as computers, two BT pay phones in the building, one TV in the common-room, BBC and ITV the only channels there were.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Tue 14-Jul-15 10:41:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't forget the handful of cold gravel for breakfast.

Sorry OP, I'm sure someone will comment helpfully in a minute. smile

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Jul-15 12:55:18
Print Post

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

For the desktop - what about a remote antenna? With a decent length of co-ax feed you should be able to find a good location for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 14-Jul-15 13:03:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Its a old card so the aerial is attached to it and cant be removed, I was thinking of one of those aerials that is a wire a stand but it cant be removed.

I only stay here 1-2 nights a week its just when I am here its the only source of entertainment in a small stuffy room.

Could buy a new card but when I have a range extender theres little point unless that doesnt work.
  Print Thread

Jump to