General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:27:16
Print Post

What's an mpf conversion?

[link to this post]

Hi guys

Hopefully a quick one but I've moved house and my migration of my Zen line rental and dsl is underway but I think previous owners were on an llu sky service.

What exactly does mpf mean and is an engineer visit required? I've got an external nte at the moment. Zen suggested that engineer would make a physical visit to fit master during the conversion. Is this true?

Thanks as always in advance!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:34:57
Print Post

Re: What's an mpf conversion?

[re: Deep_Blue] [link to this post]

MPF Metallic Path Facility https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/llu/m...

It probably means the exchange frames need re-jumpering from Sky back to BT. A technician visit to your house should not be necessary although if he does visit then he can fully test the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:57:45
Print Post

ADSLx or FTTC?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Wed 15-Jul-15 10:13:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ADSL for now, FTTC next month smile

No engineer showed up and normal service has been restored!

Cheers guys!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:01:28
Print Post

I asked because of the external NTE. But the job has been done.

I think you might get an engineer visit for the FTTC, but didn't expect it for a simple like-to-like migration.

When it comes to upgrading to FTTC it depends if Zen are still doing engineer installs. I suggest you check with them and if they are intending a self-install for you then explain about the external NTE and request an engineer visit to install an internal NTE5 and VDSL2 filter plate, and bypass the external one.

It could make quite a difference to the FTTC performance. Particularly if there are extensions wired off the external one, (whether you use them or not, it's the presence of the wires connected to it that cause the trouble). The extensions should be either disconnected or short leads added to wire them to the back of the new internal NTE5A faceplate.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:17:07
Print Post

I will definitely be going down the engineer install route, this post from a zen staff member clarifies the situation with both self-install and a "managed install" option both still being available

https://forum.zen.co.uk/forums/permalink/50204/50213...

The external NTE is now considered out of date now isn't it? So really as part of the install it would need to be bypassed and an internal extension converted to an internal NTE.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:30:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deep_Blue:
The external NTE is now considered out of date now isn't it?
Yes, it was a PITA on ADSLx, and completely unsuitable for FTTC.
So really as part of the install it would need to be bypassed and an internal extension converted to an internal NTE.
Not just that. As I said, any other extensions need to be connected to the new NTE faceplate. That can be done by adding connections from that to joins inside the external one, but if they are connected to the incoming line inside the external NTE then you would have star wiring, which is almost certain disaster.

Standard User Deep_Blue
(learned) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:34:35
Print Post

Thanks RobertoS, I will make all of this known when I place my regrade order as at the moment all of my wiring technically belongs to Openreach smile

I'll also be asking questions during the install, I would sacrifice internal extensions if required.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it smile
  Print Thread

Jump to