General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:24:52
Print Post

Crazy line fault

[link to this post]

So on Friday my dsl drops and reconnects after 30 minutes of trying at half its original speed. downstream attenuation increased so line stats have randomly got worse. I go to phone pick it up and instantly notice a buzzing sound so loud i can hear it over the ringtone. I call my phone voice line rental provider not my broadband provider cause this clearly appears to be a line fault. After what i can only describe as some crazy attempting to talk over the buzzing to BT and echoing. There is a echo affect everything you and the other person says is repeated 1/2 a second or so later. i managed to get the BT support person my mobile number so we could talk properly.

They claim it is going to take until Thursday to fix this but i find this length of time not fast enough. My voiceline is almost useless if it gets any worse it will be! When people phone me for example it is really bad. I phoned myself my phone doesn't exactly "ring" anymore normally it does a constant non stop ring not a normal one. when i answer and listen on my mobile sometimes it disconnects me other times it re directs me to random peoples phone numbers on my exchange (starting with the same area code and first 2 digits of my exchange but always a different persons number each time)

So all my friends and family and work and anyone who phones me right now will either get through and hardly hear me get disconnected or worse of all forwarded to some random stranger in my area, oh and i have also had the "the number you have dialed could not be recognized" automated voice repeated to me over and over during a phonecall that was actually working!

Shall i make a complaint about this? Phone them back and see if they can speed up the time of repair?
Also this is so weird i would be interested if anyone knows what kind of insane fault this is or experienced anything like it.
Lastly i am scared after its fixed my dsl will not be as fast as it used to. For the length of my line my dsl was always surprisingly fast.

Edit, forgot to add there is also a privacy concern sometimes i can hear other people i thought i had a crossed line but I've heard more than 3 conversations in process at once. I also noticed they can hear me but not each other accept the people they were talking to not the other conversations i can hear. so my conversations are not private.

Blackmesa8

Edited by blackmesa8 (Mon 20-Jul-15 14:33:29)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:41:59
Print Post

Re: Crazy line fault

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

So, you have a line fault, you have reported it, BT have it scheduled for repair.

What is your complaint? Do you have a contract that stipulates next day or 48 hour repair - probably not, so you will have to accept Thursday for te repair.

If you want faster responses, then change your contract and pay a higher line rental.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:44:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

BT does offer to redirect calls to a mobile, which might have got around the noisy line in the mean time.

But yes aim is for four working day repair window for residential, so a fault reported today would start counting day 1 on Tuesday.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:49:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
So, you have a line fault, you have reported it, BT have it scheduled for repair.

What is your complaint? Do you have a contract that stipulates next day or 48 hour repair - probably not, so you will have to accept Thursday for te repair.

If you want faster responses, then change your contract and pay a higher line rental.

That is true. To be honest i don't know what BT's terms are for repair time probably should have read the terms and conditions. I suppose i am lucky my broadband is even working at all!
I guess i am just finding it very annoying i use my landline for most calls due to free anytime call package etc.

I also really hope when it is fixed on Thursday my dsl speed goes back to normal.
I would still be interested to know what could have gone wrong to cause this issue i have never experienced anything like it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:48
Print Post

Probably one of the two wires that form the phone line has got an intermittent connection and may fail totally soon.

DSL will keep working with one wire, but phone won't and DSL would be around half the speed of normal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:56:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT does offer to redirect calls to a mobile, which might have got around the noisy line in the mean time.

But yes aim is for four working day repair window for residential, so a fault reported today would start counting day 1 on Tuesday.

Thanks for that info. I reported it Friday last week. What days do they count. Not weekends? Cause Thursday is 6 days from Friday but not working days i do know that. 7 days if you count Friday.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:59:48
Print Post

A working day is usually Mon to Friday, and excludes bank holidays.

So you are on day 1 of your fault.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jul-15 15:05:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They should count Friday as day one and today as day two. BT are sneaky . I'll look into the re directing option to my mobile and i am glad to hear that my broadband although slow will hopefully continue to work.

Thanks for the info guys.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 20-Jul-15 15:12:22
Print Post

Call them from your mobile on 0800 800 152 and arrange a divert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jul-15 15:18:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Call them from your mobile on 0800 800 152 and arrange a divert.

Cheers for that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to