General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:19:33
Print Post

Where's my line?

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

Once again, I'm looking for some guidance from the site's collective expertise. We're closing in on the purchase of a bungalow in Cornwall, a deceased property, and I've managed to get the phone line reactivated with a temporary number, in order to transfer the number from our previous place, for phone and adsl broadband. We've already sold that, (and living in temporary accommodation in the meantime), so I'm under some time pressure to get the transfer done ahead of completion of the purchase, in order to free up the line for the new owner of our old place.

With the assistance of the very helpful estate agent I gained access to the 'new' property this morning to check that the activation had gone OK and I was able to dial out, no problem, but couldn't get a connection when dialling in with my mobile. Got on to my provider, Talktalk Business, who reported back with a 'loop fault'.

This was not a complete surprise, as the only connection point I can find looks like an extension box, and the fault is consistent with star-wired extensions. It is located on an internal wall and I have lifted a panel in the (chipboard) floor adjacent to it up, and can see a line going away from it, but can't see to where, and I can find no evidence of a master socket or any other extension.

All the phone lines on the estate are underground (no overhead lines) and I cannot find where the line comes in, which would be a start. The property is of concrete block construction, built in the early eighties.

If anyone can give me any clues as to what I should be looking for and where possibly to look, I would be very grateful.

The purchaser of our previous property has so far been helpful in not pushing for his line to be cleared, but his patience is not going to be inexhaustible. The estate agent is a busy man, and while I've got another access appointment this coming Friday, clearly I can't ask hime to keep cutting into his day job. Any thoughts and suggestion will be gratefully received.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:39:09
Print Post

Re: Where's my line?

[re: Mygri] [link to this post]

If the line dials out then you have both the A and B wires needed for a phone line connected and working. Call a mobile and see what number it is seen as, does this match the number you expect.

Star wiring should not stop a phone from working and even if you had an old handset that was insisting on the ring wire, this can be resolved by fitting a microfilter.

As for the fault, depends on what number TalkTalk was testing, hence the need to figure out what the line thinks it is, BT lines have a useful 17070 that will say your number back to you, don't know if it works on TalkTalk LLU.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:56:30
Print Post

Sounds like it could be a rectified loop - not a hard short circuit, but a partial short often caused by moisture or corrosion on an old screw terminal. You can usually dial out with such a fault, but when calling in the ring current is shorted causing the exchange to think the call has been answered.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:00:53
Print Post

Get it transferred NOW and sort the problem after. And as an interim, have calls diverted to your mobile. Yes, there is a cost however it will ensure you retain the number and the purchaser of your old property will be freed up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:08:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comments.
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the line dials out then you have both the A and B wires needed for a phone line connected and working. Call a mobile and see what number it is seen as, does this match the number you expect.
When I called the mobile it (the mobile) recognised the number. When I used the mobile to call the number, there was a single ring and then the call disconnected: the fixed line phone did not ring.
Star wiring should not stop a phone from working and even if you had an old handset that was insisting on the ring wire, this can be resolved by fitting a microfilter.
It was a relatively up to date (but cheap) phone, but I did overlook the filter: that will be the first check on Friday!
As for the fault, depends on what number TalkTalk was testing, hence the need to figure out what the line thinks it is, BT lines have a useful 17070 that will say your number back to you, don't know if it works on TalkTalk LLU.
I was informed of the temporary number, and the number registered by the mobile did correspond.

Edited by Mygri (Tue 21-Jul-15 20:13:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:14:05
Print Post

So if mibile reports correct number then fault as troublegum suggested looks likely

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:16:50
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Hi troublegum,

If it's that then I guess it will need an engineer callout. Hmmm...
Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:22:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi MHC,

Good suggestion; I've already got call forward to our current address in place, I just wasn't sure if it is a line problem, whether that would mess up any incoming calls after the transfer. Guess I should have asked the question. I'll see how TTB bite on that tomorrow.
Standard User Mygri
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:26:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So if mobile reports correct number then fault as troublegum suggested looks likely
We seem to be narrowing down the possibilities - all good stuff! smile
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 21-Jul-15 21:29:14
Print Post

What you're describing sounds exactly like a rectified loop fault to me, I agree. Often I've found that to be caused by a faulty phone socket.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to