General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User berbles
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 19:53:09
Print Post

Cabinet enabled but no Infinity.... for years

[link to this post]

I know I should know the answer to this one, but.....

We're an IT support company and one of our clients is in the centre of Aylesbury 100 yards from a BT Infnity box that has been there at least 2 years (it's on Google Street View).

I know it's their cabinet because I checked and their lines run through that cabinet (65)

However no one in their road (Gatehouse Close) is able to order Infnity - it's not just them but the whole road.

BT is holding off offering the service for some reason but I can't seem to find out why

BT themselves are no use - they just say "talk to Openreach" but you cant talk to Openreach, there is no mechanism to ask what's going on.

So does anyone know of a communication method where I can get hold of Openreach and find out what's going on?

It's an industrial estate and I know BT can be funny about enabling them, trying to milk the leased line market, but they've gone to the trouble of putting a cab in there so what's going on?

The temptation to find a domestic subscriber connected to the cab, enable VDSL on their line then nip in one night and swap the copper over to our client is strong, but must... resist....

Anyone? Anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 20:30:51
Print Post

Re: Cabinet enabled but no Infinity.... for years

[re: berbles] [link to this post]

An easy answer HP19 8DE and HP19 8DP are served by cabinet 65 on Aylesbury exchange and it is NOT live.

Is it due to be live by the end of September 2015, see date at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Though suspect that this is a date that keeps shifting and there may be some issue in getting the cabinet into a live state.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.819399,-0.823893,3... shows cabinet 65 and looks like they were probably working on the copper interconnects on the day the Google car drove by.

So delays likely to be down to power or fibre linked back to the exchange

The other end of Gatehouse Close has a Virgin Media cabinet, but the postcodes don't show it as available, but with new expansion plans VM might be receptive to expanding into close OR at the least their business fibre services might be cheaper than BT Group Ethernet/leased lines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 26-Jul-15 21:25:10
Print Post

best hope the service provider whoever that is offers then fibre
Google for Wholesdale DSL checker -- insert either tel number or address
its a cab provided under Bucks and Herts BDUK bid and has only been stood around 15 months - actually stood April 2014

suggest delay has been awaiting a suitable power source

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User berbles
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 21:30:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That checker result has changed in the last week from "no FTTC" to "30 Sep", well done for spotting it!

So in fact we should just wait for a month and all will be resolved. interesting it's been there since May 2014, though.....
Standard User AL66
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-15 15:08:22
Print Post

Not necessarily - 31st March, 30th June, 30th September & 31st December are used as placeholders. Either the cab will go live without any prior notification at some random point between now and 30th Sept or on 29th Sept you'll find the date changes to 31st December (or some other date way in the future, eg, Bayswater PCP33, was showing 30th June 2015 - now showing 31st March 2017!).
  Print Thread

Jump to