General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dsldummy
(newbie) Wed 29-Jul-15 18:48:16
Print Post

SSE Broadband Router Question.

[link to this post]

I am thinking of migrating over to the SSE fibre broadband service and wanted to know if I had to use their supplied router or not. I would much rather use my own one. Thank you.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 15:15:38
Print Post

Re: SSE Broadband Router Question.

[re: dsldummy] [link to this post]

What router are you planning to use? As long as it is suitable for the service you are getting (in this case fibre) you shouldn't have any problems, providing you can do the setup yourself. SSE probably won't be any/much help if you have a problem though, as they usually only support the routers they supply.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User dsldummy
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-15 19:42:34
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Hi there. I hadn't made my mind up yet and am not an expert on such matters, but I wanted a good quality router that isn't wireless enabled. I never use wireless at home and am not totally convinced it isn't bad for your health either. I wanted it to be strong on security features as well. I am very willing to persevere, for as long as it takes, to get it all set up properly. I gave up trying to phone SSE, as they take forever to answer the phone and their staff don't seem to know much anyway. They even told me that customers HAD to use their supplied router, which I was very dubious about. Thank you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:16:31
Print Post

You would probably need to go upmarket a bit to find a non-wifi enabled router, but all enabled ones I know of it is dead easy to turn off the wifi.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:44:55
Print Post

I gave up trying to phone SSE, as they take forever to answer the phone and their staff don't seem to know much anyway. They even told me that customers HAD to use their supplied router, which I was very dubious about. Thank you.

That sometimes follows as part of a cheap deal, monkeys & peanuts scenario tongue smile

plusnet user
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 20:54:31
Print Post

I never use wireless at home and am not totally convinced it isn't bad for your health either.

A little hard going initially, but stick with it for an hour and a half and see what is killing us and the bees, along with what started life on this planet and what has been hidden from us. You will then be sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS6FGzh3ygw

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 21:04:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by dsldummy:
they take forever to answer the phone and their staff don't seem to know much anyway.

Unfortunately they seems true for most suppliers these days. frown

I'm with them for my gas and electric and I'm having problems with getting their website to accept my meter readings atm.

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 21:07:34
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
That sometimes follows as part of a cheap deal, monkeys & peanuts scenario tongue smile

I'm glad you added the sometimes and the smilies, as it doesn't always follow.

===========
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 22:06:28
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
In reply to a post by Apprentice:

I'm glad you added the sometimes and the smilies, as it doesn't always follow.

Having Plusnet as my ISP I know that can be the case, a cheap deal but good customer service and a reliable connection.

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 31-Jul-15 22:09:14)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 22:16:45
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yep, Plusnet weren't bad overall.

===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to