General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jul-15 21:38:05
Print Post

Against Misuse of “Fibre Optic Broadband” in ISP Adverts

[link to this post]

France Rules Against Misuse of “Fibre Optic Broadband” in ISP Adverts

We are being duped, one day we might all have true high speed fibre optic broadband FTTH/P (Fibre To The Home/Premises).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/france-...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/12/2015-up...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 08:21:33
Print Post

Re: Against Misuse of “Fibre Optic Broadband” in ISP Adverts

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

To be honest the general public don't care what it is called. Whether it is called fibre optic, hybrid fibre or string most of the public wouldn't understand the difference. All they care about is what they can do with it and in that case the speed it can run it for them is far more important than the technology it runs over.

And those of us that do know the difference are not being duped - again, they can call it what they like - I know the difference.

And if it is important to a person when moving house then hopefully they have done a little research and know what cable, FTTC and FTTP are - and the information about what a property can get is out there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jul-15 08:26:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Oh and this was a row over fttb and ftth rather than c versus h

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 08:31:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

True. But, if FTTB actually gives a gigabit connection then who cares if it is copper or coax.

The main question will be contention - if there are 50 users sharing a single gigabit fibre then peak times may not achieve gigabit speeds of actual throughput - but none of these current discussions seem to be about actual throughput, only about connection speeds.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 30-Jul-15 10:09:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I also think that the general public also don't appreciate that "traffic jams" etc can/do occur on any network, ie there is a physical limit to the capacity, whether the network is shared/common carrier or single/private user.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 30-Jul-15 10:47:03
Print Post

I am glad to see that there is something the French are doing correctly.

I've been tempted to complain to the ASA here in the UK. Unlike FTTP, FTTC still suffers from the same cross talk and capacitance problems as ADSL. Even with ADSL I presume that most of the path between me and some distant site is fibre rather than metal/copper.

Michael Chare
Standard User zom22
(member) Thu 30-Jul-15 11:15:03
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Well why don't you then.
I've done it and got nowhere (it was rejected) and spent a lot of my time on it.

So why not someone else have a go now and cite the French case as new evidence. to prevent them dismissing it straight off as already having been considered.
add it a bit about EU harmonisation across telecoms and you might have a better chance.

It needs a proper almost legalese formal letter setting out reasons and background - not just your usual forum rant about why you don't like it.

Here is the address.
Advertising Standards Authority Limited
Mid City Place
71 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6QT
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 12:03:18
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

The trouble is educating the masses as to what the difference is between the different terms. As I said before most people have no way of comparing FTTC, FTTP, FTTB, Cable, etc - they don't know the general pros and cons of them they just know that someone says it's faster than what they had before, assuming that you ignore contention.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 30-Jul-15 12:45:15
Print Post

And what about Virgin claiming "powered by DOCSIS" - how can you get power out of a specification? And a picture of Co-Ax? ADSL & VDSL have specifications too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jul-15 13:38:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, the virgin advertisement is a bit pathetic isn't it....

I wonder why they don't explain that the virgin network connects like 4 bedrooms to one tv aerial, and by doing this your connection will be more vulnerable to noise and will have higher jitter values compared to the dedicated pair to DSLAM!laugh

WBC @ 4500m> TP-Link TD-W8968v3
FTTC @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U
FTTN Coming Soon
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to