General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sat 01-Aug-15 23:34:15
Print Post

9 months contract for students ?

[link to this post]

My daughter + 2 other girls are moving to rented house in September. They intend to do it again next year.
There is a disconected phone line, previously with Talk Talk, apparently capable of 7Mb/s, which may be too slow for 3 of them watching videos at the same time. Fibre seems to be available too.

Anyone knows of any special 9 months deals for students ? It would not be that expensive to keep std. broadband on for next year, but not fibre.
However the house is rented out to holidaymakers June to Sept., so it would be necessaary to cease the the phone line, or, if possible, block outgoing calls.
Any advice would help. Thanks, regards,
Martin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Aug-15 09:21:13
Print Post

Re: 9 months contract for students ?

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

Virgin Media seem to be the main ones these days.

A 12 month deal and turn on call blocking for the holiday season seems best, especially given offers that vary. Alas TalkTalk is often 18 month minimum contracts

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User martinsq
(member) Wed 05-Aug-15 23:27:29
Print Post

And now OpenReach is going to hike the Fibre cancellation fee from £5.71 to £37 !!!
Arggghhh...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alext05
(committed) Fri 07-Aug-15 10:22:13
Print Post

As if by magic, an article about 9 month contracts for students:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/08/bt-and-...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Aug-15 10:51:42
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Yeah have same offers, weighing up if of any use versus just chasing a 12 month deal and throwing away last 3 months

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User martinsq
(member) Fri 07-Aug-15 23:43:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yeah have same offers, weighing up if of any use versus just chasing a 12 month deal and throwing away last 3 months

Very little in it, except no worry about what happens to live line after the 9 months.
Phoned my home provider PlusNet, but no go, will they perhaps follow BT later ?

Unlike other Unis, ours starts 7th Sept. so it's urgent.
Regards,
Martin
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sun 30-Aug-15 00:00:03
Print Post

AARRGGGHHHH = [censored] BT !!!
So my daughter decided to go with the 9 months BT deal, duly entered her Uni email address and details via the website an picked 4th September (2nd was available) as a start date as she will be moving in that day (Scottish Uni, starts Sept. 7th)

Today she received spate of emails, BT cancelled her order, replaced it witd std. BT BB (presumably 12mths ?) at std. price (their Student price is £5 chreaper, still shown on BT website) starting 18th Sept. !!!
NO EXPLANATION !!!
Of course beeing a Bank Hols weekend we cant' get hold of anyone at BT !!!

So first thing on Tue., it will be ultimatum to BT, sort it out pronto, or she cancells.

Sky now has 9 mnths free BB, line rental only offer for students, PlusNet has £75 cashback....
Regards,
Martin
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Aug-15 00:18:01
Print Post

That sounds VERY naughty of BT.... almost like they didn't think it would be noticed!

I saw the Sky deal and thought it was rather good... though making sure Sky's available where your daughter will be staying is important but is good ammunition to have against BT!

Standard User martinsq
(member) Fri 04-Sep-15 23:46:16
Print Post

UPDATE
After the bank. hols my daughter phoned again, got some reasonably inteligent bloke (but see later), who blamed OpenReach (?) for changing the order, but promised to re-instate the original Student Contract and expedite the activation.
Today we arrived at the house, the phone line came to life in the afternoon, so far so good.
Of course no sign or router, so I urged my daugter to ring up again and ask if the intenet connection is active (could have scrounged a router).
She was reluctant, but eventually phoned up.
Just as well, they expedited the phone line, but NOT the internet !
Now they promise a router and connection by Tuesday.
Well, I will be surprised if that happens, and I will be 500miles at home....

If you HAVE to deal with BT, make sure every few days that they still at it...!
Regards,
Martin
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 06-Sep-15 17:54:14
Print Post

I have a educated guess as to why openreach cancel so many orders.

My guess is when the exec office do escalated appointments and none are available, they will boot someone off from the appointment system to make room, hence the mess your daughter has had. May also happen with higher tiered products such as business pushing residential appointments out as well.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to