General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:00:20
Print Post

Filter faceplate

[link to this post]

My daughter has had to have the incoming phone line moved by BT/OR due to some building work.

The original installation had a BT ADSL V1.0 faceplate fitted. When the BT engineer moved the line he discarded the filter faceplate saying the standard in-line filter is all that is required "these days". (No fibre here!!)

Is this correct please?

Andrew
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:01:39
Print Post

Re: Filter faceplate

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "in-line" filter?
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:04:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

A filter plugged into the wall socket in line with the phone line on which there are two sockets, one for the modem and one for the phone.

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:08:54
Print Post

Has he fitted a bulkier assembly, with the broadband socket above the phone socket? Instead of the previous one where they were next to each other? See the picture on this page.

Don't worry about it being an FTTx page, that filter I believe is now the standard BT filtered faceplate for broadband connections.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:12:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sounds like he's fitted the old dangly type like this

If that's the case then it is a backwards step to me. Much prefer the faceplate filter if the modem is plugged in at the main socket.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:17:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It is the dangly type!

The wall socket has just one socket for a standard phone plug hence the requirement for the ILF.

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:29:02
Print Post

Is it a modern NTE5 if so then fitting the interstitial filter is easy peasy.

By modern NTE5 I mean one where the bottom half of the front unscrews to reveal a test socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:34:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Not sure, will have to go and have a look.

One would hope that they would fit a modern NTE5 since they discarded the original installed only some 3 years ago!

Andrew
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:03:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
Thanks. Not sure, will have to go and have a look.

One would hope that they would fit a modern NTE5 since they discarded the original installed only some 3 years ago!
Well if its an NTE5A socket it would look like one of these.
NTE5A all separated into its 3 parts

Left is the actual NTE5A Socket, middle if the actual xDSL filter plate and then right the Phone front plate.
If there is a NTE5A Back Plate along with the Phone front plate then all you would need is the xDSL filter plate inserted, there is no wiring that needs to be done.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:25:07
Print Post

I think that engineer was somewhat out of order there. The filtered faceplate was in any case your daughter's property, whether or not he chose to fit a standard NTE5A.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to