General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:14:49
Print Post

Adsl2 at my exchange? confused!

[link to this post]

Hi there once again, probably sick of seeing me lol "sorry"

Anyway i noticed a few weeks back when i posted regarding something that was on the sky website about there services coming to my exchange within the next couple of months, decided to give it a try today and it seems there now in my area, there estimates have went from 1.5 to 2 mbps to 1.5 to 4.5mbps so that doesn't really tell me if its adsl2 so decided to try numbers closer to the exchange (in the village) and there estimates are 19mbps so that tells me there offering adsl2 or 2+ not sure...checked samknows but still says adslmax only but heard they don't update often and also checked a couple of the numbers on the availability checker and still say adsl only (upto 8 mbps) so is it just that bt haven't bothered upgrading the equipment and sky have installed there own? i assumed the exchange itself would be upgraded to adsl2 for all isp.or am i speaking out my... any info would be great thankyou.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:18:43
Print Post

Re: Adsl2 at my exchange? confused!

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Most likely that Sky have installed their own hardware and can offer ADSL2+ independent of what BT Wholesale offers.

The TalkTalk and Sky LLU networks are largely than the BT Wholesale ADSL2+ network, hence why when many people moan about only having access to ADSL they are told to check what TalkTalk and Sky offer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:27:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK thanks, do you think or is there anyway of knowing that bt wholesale will upgrade there equipment to adsl2 as i'm in the middle of moving one of my lines to sse from bt and obviously sse use bt wholesale so not sure if i should cancel that migration and get it done with sky. a little annoying, don't understand why bt do not upgrade the exchange themselves, lose themselves customers if they keep going on this way

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:35:02
Print Post

Impossible to say what might happen.

For BT Wholesale there is little point in upgrading exchanges where FTTC is due to arrive and most people will shift from exchange based services to cabinet based services.

Only reason Sky and TalkTalk continue is the low price of full LLU and their ability to generate extra revenue from voice calls.

As for SSE on IPStream Max I'd be surprised if its brilliant, generally smaller resellers are to be avoided where their main LLU option is not available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:38:35
Print Post

Yes i feared so. guess i'll give sky a shot.
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 18:29:43
Print Post

So will the Broadband availability checker still show adsl2/+ services even when bt dont have it themselves at my exchange? if so how often is the checker updated? as im unsure, contacted sky and they could not tell me if there equipment was at my exchange but according to there website they offer speeds of around 19mbps, used some local businesses to find out speeds in the village itself using the sky website (chinese. shop, calf etc) which tells me they are offering adsl2+
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-15 18:35:36
Print Post

Sky offering ADSL2+ is nothing to do with BT Wholesale so will NEVER show up on the BT ran checkers.

If the Sky website shows ADSL2+ speeds available, then only way is via their own LLU network. The reps you are speaking to will probably be the last to know about the various upgrades.

Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 19:01:43
Print Post

Yes your correct they know nothing, they do offer adsl2+ speeds according to there website so im going to assume they have installed there own equipment. i'll have 14 days to cancel according to the women on the phone so i'll test and keep an eye on modulation and such to see if its adsl2 or not

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Aug-15 19:21:57
Print Post

ADSL2+. Not the same thing at all as ADSL2.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 19:22:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to