General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tombryce
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-15 14:26:27
Print Post

my broadband speed

[link to this post]

Using wifi my broadband speed has dropped from my normal speed of about 12Mb to 2Mb even when my laptop is only about 2ft away from the router. Using an ethernet connection I still get about 12Mb. There are no other devices connected to the router. This is the first time I have tested the speed since changing to Windows 10. Could this be the reason? Or is there another explanation?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Aug-15 17:13:33
Print Post

Re: my broadband speed

[re: tombryce] [link to this post]

Don't know what the make of your laptop is but the wi-fi network adapter driver/s might meed updating?

plusnet user
Standard User tombryce
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-15 17:33:54
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Its a Dell laptop a few years old but it has a Wireless N-WLAN mini-card which is working properly according to device manager

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Aug-15 18:12:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by tombryce:
Using wifi my broadband speed has dropped from my normal speed of about 12Mb to 2Mb even when my laptop is only about 2ft away from the router. Using an ethernet connection I still get about 12Mb. There are no other devices connected to the router. This is the first time I have tested the speed since changing to Windows 10. Could this be the reason? Or is there another explanation?
Have you scanned for other Wifi signals? I gave up on Wifi a couple of years ago because around here there's something like a dozen competing signals. If/when I replace my laptop I might get a new WAP that supports the higher band but by then there'll probably be a lot of competition there as well.

Anyway for now my latop remains connected using a long Ethernet cable except when I take it into the kitchen.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 10-Aug-15 18:13:36)

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 10-Aug-15 18:18:22
Print Post

No need to install Windows 10, I have a similar problem on W7. My desktop PC has wifi to router, my wife's is ethernet cable to router. After my PC goes to sleep it is slow to reconnect and speed is 0.5Mb instead of 11.2Mb. My wife's machine on ethernet works fine and our two iPads connect without problems.

This problem arose a couple of weeks ago after an MS update. I couldn't get it to connect at all until I went back using System Restore. All was well until the PC re-installed the updates, when the problem returned.

It seems to be widespread, some say update the drivers (I did) some say remove the VPN adaptor etc. I've given up and turned off the 'sleep' facility on the computer. Edited to add: Have tried scanning for other channels, there aren't any. An ethernet connection is probably the best solution.

Edited by Malwaremike (Mon 10-Aug-15 18:20:46)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 10-Aug-15 18:20:54
Print Post

A wireless channel scan using something like NetStumber will be useful, together with the wireless configuration of your router.

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
Standard User tombryce
(newbie) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:25:42
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I have re-installed windows 7 and my speed has gone back to about 12Mb. I can only conclude that my wifi driver couldn't cope with windows 10 despite it being up to date
  Print Thread

Jump to