General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Aug-15 14:11:04
Print Post

Will a FTTC install cover faults?

[link to this post]

I'm due to migrate my FTTC connection to a new ISP. As part of the migration I have the offer of an engineer appointment. Normally I wouldn't want an engineer to turn up for a migration however I have been monitoring my connection and noted that every time I plug a phone into my filtered faceplate I get a spike in FEC errors, typically they rise from a constant 300/minute to about 10000-45000/minute. I have swapped out everything - filters/cables/modems - and the problem remains.

So what I'd like to know is will an engineer sent out for FTTC migration be able to deal with the apparent issue I have with my connection or do these type of engineers just deal with basic installation and won't have a clue how to get rid of my odd FEC/phone spikes?

EDIT:

Actually, don't try to troubleshoot my line issue at the moment - something has just cropped up - just let me know whether the engineers are basically "install only" or can identify and fix faults. Thanks.

Edited by Spud2003 (Thu 13-Aug-15 14:33:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Aug-15 14:50:25
Print Post

Re: Will a FTTC install cover faults?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Engineer for migration is odd...

For installs i.e. the £99+VAT option they will try and resolve issues that may mean line is performing outside estimated expectation.

On a migration its almost a wasted visit to the home, as they will just see you have a faceplate and leave.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Aug-15 15:04:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's part of the standard migration process for the ISP, so I can take it or leave it - as I said normally I wouldn't bother.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-15 21:42:27
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

It depends, when you place the order the system runs a line test. If it picks up a fault then you have to have an engineer visit. It'll be an Openreach engineer and not a subcontracter.

The engineer picks up the job (FTTC Install and fix line fault) with a description of the fault, for example it might say "Unbalanced Cable". The engineer has to make sure the line is fixed before they leave.
  Print Thread

Jump to