General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Mon 17-Aug-15 20:56:12
Print Post

Unable to use another router with sky broadband

[link to this post]

Hi there, my migration to sky broadband happened today and i'm happy with the speeds however i was doing a bit of googling to find a username and password to connect to the sky network using a third party router but then found out that sky do not allow this.

I gave them a call to make sure and they told me i'd have to pay an extra £2.50 a month for something called broadband unlimited pro which offers static ip, gamer profile and what i need the username and password to use your own router, i googled that also and got limited results. I said yes to paying the extra 2.50 but because broadband unlimited and broadband unlimited pro are different packages my current unlimited pro offer (free for 12 months) would stop and that i would have to start paying 12.50 from the outset.

Has anyone heard of this and is there anyway to pluck the current username and password from the sky hub, i've seen some youtube tutorials but i'm not sure if its legal or what as i've seen posts on the sky forum confirming its against contract rules or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmMh9tn_60
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Aug-15 22:53:37
Print Post

Re: Unable to use another router with sky broadband

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Perfectly allowed on ADSL but not fibre.

Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
Password: password

(O2 details are "whitelisted" for O2 migrants)

Oliver.
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:03:14
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Ok Oliver thankyou. I'll give both the username and password you provided plus i;ll give that youtube tutorial a shot.

I don't see why sky have a problem with people using there own modem/router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:16:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Ok Oliver thankyou. I'll give both the username and password you provided plus i;ll give that youtube tutorial a shot.

I don't see why sky have a problem with people using there own modem/router.
You can, one of our lines was originally with BE (using our own modem/router hardware etc) which ended up being brought by Sky, we was given that same login information which after a few weeks without BB on that line, finally got resolved and was ok for the year that we was with them.

No long have broadband or an active phone line on that line.

Paul
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:55:26
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I just assumed it was frowned upon with sky, just reading sky forums and peoples post are being removed just for mentioning ways to get your sky username and password.this was both a mix of adsl and fibre and rather heated discussions at that. was just about made to pay an extra 2.50 for a pro version to get it according to one of the sky call centre workers as he said that was the only way to get the thing i wanted.

Im sure there is something in sky t&cs about it
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:04:16
Print Post

Generally so long as you plug in Sky original kit before reporting faults/issues to verify and help any remote diagnostics then you should be fine.

Removing the posts is simply because they don't want to be seen to be supporting lots of third party kit which makes support staff jobs harder.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:21:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will certainly do that if a fault arises.

Iv'e just watched that tutorial again and have my tp link up and running with no problems

Thanks again all
  Print Thread

Jump to