General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User funkytwig
(newbie) Sat 22-Aug-15 16:05:19
Print Post

DSL-AC68U VPN to remote laptop

[link to this post]

Hi, I was thinking of using a separate DSL modem and router but I think I am just overcomplicating things. It seems the Asus DSL-AC68U is the only contender and it gets great reviews. The only downside is it seems the asuswrt-merlin is not comparable.

The DSL version of the router is only slightly more expensive than the RT-AC68U and makes using separate modem/router not worth it.

The only thing I cant find any information on is using the AC68U for a small office network and connecting remote laptops. How do I set up OpenVPN client to connect to the router.

Ben
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 22-Aug-15 16:10:55
Print Post

Re: DSL-AC68U VPN to remote laptop

[re: funkytwig] [link to this post]

The router provides links to the info http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/11/2/RT...
Standard User CHBMB
(learned) Sat 22-Aug-15 17:36:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have this modem router and it's very easy to set up an OpenVPN server on the router, then just install the OpenVPN software on the laptop and export your .ovpn file from the router (downloadable from the router setup webui) and away you go. Can access my home network from my mobile phone, tablet and laptop.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Aug-15 17:42:55
Print Post

How many more threads all about the same installation? This is the third.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Aug-15 17:43:21)

Standard User funkytwig
(newbie) Sat 22-Aug-15 19:34:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I rend to favour thread subjects which help people searching the forum (both in terms of new posts and searching old ones) and if the question changes use a new thread. I just noticed it is possible to change the subject so should of done that instead.
Standard User funkytwig
(newbie) Sat 22-Aug-15 19:35:54
Print Post

Thanks, that answer the question perfecly.

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

Looks very straightforward.
Standard User CHBMB
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-15 09:43:09
Print Post

Re: Thanks, that answer the question perfecly.

It is, the only little catch is that you need to get the OpenVPN gui installed on your PC. If you just go to the first google result you get and download you end up with an OpenVPN provider program, so use the appropriate installer from these here..

OpenVPN
  Print Thread

Jump to