General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trumpeter
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:14:35
Print Post

upload speed slow (from computers, not router)

[link to this post]

My router shows 48Mbit download, 14Mbit upload (FTC)
My computers all get the full download speed but only show around 1k upload (with speedtest.btwholesale.com)
This is consistent with wired and wireless connections, macs and PCs (or just one computer on its own, wired or wireless). And it's exactly the same if I swap out my nice new TP-link W9980 router for the cheap and cheerful EE router.
Bandwidth management is not enabled on either router, and enabling it with all the bandwidth allocated to one machine still doesn't provide an upload speed increase on that machine.

It's not a big issue for me, but I'd like to understand. Can anyone offer an explanation, please?

Many thanks, Neil

Edited by trumpeter (Sun 23-Aug-15 16:36:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:34:47
Print Post

Re: upload speed slow (from computers, not router)

[re: trumpeter] [link to this post]

48 Kbps and 1 Kbps is VERY slow.

To make sure we are not talking about unit issues can you run the speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the result sharing link you get after the test

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trumpeter
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:38:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, MrSaffron, I've corrected the units in my original posting!

Thanks for pointing it out. The Thinkbroadband test just gave the following results:

up 45.1 Mbps bursting to 47.7 Mbps
down 1.9 Mbps bursting to 4.5 Mbps
latency 62ms

Neil

Edited by trumpeter (Sun 23-Aug-15 16:43:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:41:00
Print Post

So 14 Mbps sync but only 1 Kbps upload?

Speed test still to make sure and show what is going on, though if really 1Kbps upload be amazed if the speed test works.

Some Asus motherboards can have issues with uploads
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/312236-30-beware...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trumpeter
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:45:54
Print Post

You must have looked half way through my edit. It's a 1-2 Mbit upload speed. But it should be ten times that according to what EE advertise (and what the routers say is happening).

Thanks for your interest, by the way.

Neil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:49:30
Print Post

Seeing the shape of the graph from a speed test may help, as if its a software cap it should be nailed to a speed, if its something else line congestion (e.g. something unknown to you uploading a lot) then it should wobble around a lot.

Beyond that you are looking up things like the motherboard model to see if any oddities like the Asus one I linked to.

Standard User trumpeter
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-15 17:44:04
Print Post

The download speed is pretty consistent. The upload speed wobbles around between 1.5 and 2.5 Mbit, even though the router shows a constant availability of 14Mbit.

It's not a motherboard problem unless three different motherboards are exactly the same: two PCs and an iMac. And on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and the thinkbroadband speedtest I just got 35.9 Mbs down and only 3.0 Mbps up. My router is currently showing an upload speed of 13970 Kbps.

I'm at a loss! But thanks again for your comments.

Neil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:04:09
Print Post

Isp is? Some have a 2Mbps upload limit so they may be capping line

Standard User trumpeter
(newbie) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:12:06
Print Post

ISP is EE. They advertise 11-20 MBit upload on my contract (their top package). But the routers consistently show 14 MBit as the upload speed, which surely wouldn't happen if the speed was capped? Or would it? I don't understand!

Thanks again for your input, though.

Neil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:31:57
Print Post

Shouldn't happen but it is something the ISP would need to check

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to