General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User choddo
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 14:01:50
Print Post

Any way to know if a fibre cab has capacity?

[link to this post]

I've gone through hell with a messed up BT line provisioning and FTTC order. I now have a line and as of this morning, the the FTTC checker now agrees against both number and address and guestimates I'm going to get about 30Mb and I've figured out I'm about 1km from the cab so that sounds about right.

I have this "jumpers are not in place" message from dslchecker and I know this house has not had FTTC before (and other neighbours have been told they can't have it, though BT are now planning to install the lower-threshold "unlimited faster broadband" or whatever they call it for a neighbour.

There are two closer cabs, presumably for more recently built housing nearby, and I'm worried that my cabinet (small one) may have been maxed out on its fttc connections since there are so many houses between me and it that are connected to it. Any way to tell until BT actually try to finally activate me?

Cheers

Edited by choddo (Tue 25-Aug-15 14:08:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Aug-15 14:28:45
Print Post

Re: Any way to know if a fibre cab has capacity?

[re: choddo] [link to this post]

Openreach will be installing the 40/10 product they have no product below the 40 Mbps limit.

The 'unlimited faster broadband' is just BT Retail protecting their speed claims when advertising Infinity, so there is no speed cap and if the speeds look good you can appeal to the retailers nature and go onto their Infinity ranges.

You will be connected to the cabinet the phone line previously went via. The immediate neighbours either side can be a guide, but there is no guarantee over which cabinet unless you have paid network rearrangement fees and had wiring checked and altered to go to the one you want, i.e. custom sized cheques to Openreach

If a cabinet has been maxed out on connections the checkers will reflect this, so use the address checkers to check addresses on the same cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User choddo
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 15:29:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron

Great to see you're still active on here, I think you were helping me with ADSL questions about 10 years ago!

Yes, suspected it would be the same product with a marketing threshold.

ok so if the openreach checker and the retail checker (which I assume uses the same data with a layer of gloss) both say that I can get Infinity with approx 28-36, then my cab should have enough capacity for my line to be moved over from ADSL to FTTC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Aug-15 16:17:41
Print Post

I hope you are aware that you can get FTTC from all ISPs? Infinity and the lower option from BT are not the only ones.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Aug-15 16:18:28
Print Post

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html is the best one to finally check with as it has the most text versus pretty graphics

If there is a capacity issue it will be mentioned below the table.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User choddo
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-15 09:41:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep - and I hear great things about A&A and their support. I'm getting a reasonable discount from BT and in a way, I'm kind of sticking with them mainly to push through the Infinity order they accepted, just in case there are any issues, as my neighbour has warned about, when it comes to provisioning it.

Probably a vain hope, but I figure I might have more chance of getting any line issues resolved properly with engineer visits etc, if they know that their systems let me place the order. Seems to me that my house was built at the very edge of town in about 1970 so while they did use copper not alu in those days, the wiring might not be in the best condition. Voice seems very clear though, I have to say.

I've also got a weird thing where it looks like this house once had 2 lines, because the wrong pair are active (the orange & white connected to the front of the master socket are dead) so the only working socket in the house is an extension which is run about 10m from the bottom of the master socket off the other pair (green and black or something iirc).

I could swap the pairs in the box but there doesn't look like there's much spare wire if I accidentally snap off a centimetre, so I'd rather leave it alone!
Standard User btbert
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-15 16:50:57
Print Post

Yep best to just let it be. Sounds like you have a 2pr lead-in and you are on pr2 , no worries if house has had to two lines in the past.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-15 21:44:29
Print Post

"My" PCP connects about 300 traditiional phone lines.

The corresponding FTTC has a back-plane of 288 Sockets; but only the first 48 had Filter/Links fitted when it went active in March 2014.

The second batch of 48 had Filter/Links added about May 2015, so the take-up of the first batch must have been around 3 to 4 per month, including my own upgrade in June 2014.

I spoke with the technician adding the second batch; and that day he was going around about 25 FTTCs, similarly adding small batches of Filter/Links, to the extent that he asked me what was the best road route to some of them.

So it appears that "my" FTTC is not unusual in having batches added progressively.

It also ties in with the late 2014 report from BT OR that the take-up was about 13% over the whole country, followed by its later report around May 2015 that this figure was now 15%.

Another person mentioned that his FTTC had only 53 working upgrades after about a year.

So the FTTC cabinets generally are not being loaded to their maximum capacities, but going up in discrete steps, so that there can be an apparent shortage at distinct intervals until eventually fully loaded and allocated.
Standard User choddo
(newbie) Sat 29-Aug-15 07:49:34
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Well I think I've finally managed to re-place my order, no thanks to BT's "order (mis)management" team but got some proper help via their customer forum. Engineer visiting the cab on the 9th so fingers crossed, hoping the dire warning from the neighbour of no fibre available in the street we just moved into was misinformation.
  Print Thread

Jump to