General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User internetMegan
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-15 11:18:39
Print Post

Address/Line mixup in database?

[link to this post]

Hi all, hopefully someone here can help with this, but the gist is that it looks as though BT Openreach have got the wrong addresses matched in their database to the physical lines.

Here's the longer version:
I recently moved into a flat. The flat has a BT master socket, with a telephone line that has a dial tone, a phone number and can receive calls, but appears to be unable to make outbound calls.
Naturally I want to take over this line and get my own internet on there (through Zen).
An attempt by BT to takeover the phoneline associated with my address failed, as being rejected by the existing operator of the line.

After that failed I turned to Zen to place both phone and internet, but we established something wasn't right... the phone number showing up for my address doesn't match the phone number the physical line has and receives calls on. So I commenced some digging....

And after doing some digging myself it appears that the actual phone number my physical line has is registered against my neighbours address, and that the inverse is true too - their actual number is registered against my address in BTs database. As we live in a block of flats that's not outside the realms of possibility - there had apparently been confusion before over which flat was which (the company that built them got things mixed up apparently), although they are now correctly numbered according to the land registry and deeds.

My problem comes in knowing what to do next - BT won't help me, as they want to just do a forced takeover of the line registered against my address, which will naturally cut off my neighbours broadband.

So if anyone here has any ideas of what to do next, please let me know smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Aug-15 11:28:13
Print Post

Re: Address/Line mixup in database?

[re: internetMegan] [link to this post]

Something flats suffer more often, and the presence of LLU (if line was with Sky/TalkTalk previously) may have confused things.

A quick solution would be to order a new line at the address, but may be different pricing and probably end up with you having two sockets at the end (usually a spare pair of wires in existing cable so that bit is not too hard).

Beyond that its down to the providers to work with Openreach to resolve, or if that is getting you nowhere rely on emailing me Andrew@thinkbroadband.com with concise summary and details such as address/number and will pass onto Openreach.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Aug-15 12:27:53
Print Post

Re: Address/Line mixup in database?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I would start with yourself and your neighbour writing a joint letter to BT asking them to resolve the address issues requesting confirmation of receipt within 48 hours and them to respond with their plan to resolve the problem within 5 working days. . Send it using a signed for service send it to:

Customer Service Director
BT Correspondence Centre
Providence Row
Durham
DH98 1BT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to