General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davey33
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 08:11:21
Print Post

Why does BT checker massively underestimate my speeds?

[link to this post]

If I enter my telephone number into the BT broadband availability checker it gives me a downstream line rate of 2-2.5mbps for adsl max. Its the same with Samknows which estimates speeds of 2.5mbps when I enter my number into its broadband availability checker.

However, running the BT wholesale speed test gives me speeds of around 7mbps with an IP profile of 7150. I also consistently get around 7mbps with other speed tests or when downloading files, videos, streaming etc etc.

Any idea why the BT checker and others give such dramatically lower speed estimates or what to do about it? I'm planning on selling the house soon- 7mbps is already pretty slow by current standards and I don't want a potential buyer thinking our speeds are significantly worse.
Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Aug-15 08:26:09
Print Post

Re: Why does BT checker massively underestimate my speeds?

[re: davey33] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it happens.

When you put in the particulars for sale you could state the broadband connection rate to make it clear.
Standard User Jez_
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 09:54:55
Print Post

I get the same, but with FTTC. The checker estimates ~55mbit Clean Upper.

I get 80.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Aug-15 10:41:33
Print Post

[re: Jez_] [link to this post]

Checkers after various complaints have to generally ere on the safer side, which is to under estimate the speed.

Without seeing the full text of what the wholesale checker says it is hard to say much more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davey33
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 11:11:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron- This is what the BT wholesale one says. I couldn't paste it so I copied what seemed to be the most relevant.

Featured Products Downstream Upstream Line Downstream
Line rate (Mbps) rate (Mbps) Range(Mbps)

ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5-5
Fixed rate 2 -- --

That didn't seem to format correctly. The "Downstream Line rate (Mbps)" for ADSL max is "up to 2.5" and the "Downstream range (Mbps)" is "1-5"

Edited by davey33 (Fri 28-Aug-15 11:14:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Aug-15 11:42:34
Print Post

It gives two formats

A range 1.5 to 5 Mbps
And a single figure 2.5 Mbps

Providers are free to choose, but looks like BT Wholesale is not massively off, since the difference on ADSL between 5 Mbps and 7 Mbps in terms of line length is not that big.

Might be interesting to know what your downstream attenuation is, from BTW estimates I'd say they are expecting around 40 to 45dB.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davey33
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 12:39:32
Print Post

Downstream attenuation is 32.
As an experiment I just went through the start of the sign up process to PlusNet to see what their line checker would say- they suggested speeds of 3mbps.

Edited by davey33 (Fri 28-Aug-15 12:41:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Aug-15 12:48:46
Print Post

Okay they are using the older estimates then, i.e. probably has not been an update on the checker for that long for a long time.

ISP can push back feedback, but given the range is listed as 1 to 5 Mbps, not much to be gained.

Providers are under a LOT of pressure to not over estimate, so will often take a lower safer figure, the end result of campaigning

Standard User davey33
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 13:03:17
Print Post

There was a time in the past - at least 5 years ago- when we used to get fairly poor speeds, loss of sync and had a noisy line. Eventually a BT engineer did something to our line (think he mentioned something about switching our line) which made the noise margin stable and significantly increased the speeds. Since then our router usually syncs at 8128 and we get 7mbps speeds. I'm pretty sure that before this happened we had a way higher d'stream attenuation.

Since then we've had a couple of brief line issues, the last about 18 months ago, that lasted about a week and were found to be due to faults at the exchange. The last one caused our speeds to drop dramatically and the previous one resulted in us having no broadband whatsoever. Apart from these two incident our speeds and line stats have remained basically the same.

Could the above have effected the availability checker estimates- how often are they updated?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Aug-15 13:08:04
Print Post

BTW Checker is useless! They are pile of rubbish!

When I was on ADSL2+ BT say I only get up to 8Mbps (I get 14Mbps)

Now on FTTC they say I only get up to 75Mbps and I get 80Mbps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to