General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ADSHellraiser
(learned) Sun 30-Aug-15 21:54:04
Print Post

BT connection point

[link to this post]

I am scheduled to have BT broadband Installed this week- I have an engineer coming in Tuesday. Reading one of the emails from them it tells me they will need access to the Buildings'BT connection point. What exactly is this? I assume it is separate to the wall socket I have in my flat. I am in a building of 6 flats. I am unaware of any other points in the building, and know that if i phone the management company they won't know either ( I don't deal with the landlord direct) I
Assume access is essential for the installation procedure?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Aug-15 22:01:05
Print Post

Re: BT connection point

[re: ADSHellraiser] [link to this post]

Does this wall socket have dial tone already?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 30-Aug-15 22:32:10
Print Post

Standard Broadband "Up to 17Mbps", or one of the Infinity FTTC packages?

Does the telephone line work at the moment? Do you already have broadband on it?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Aug-15 22:32:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Sun 30-Aug-15 23:42:39
Print Post

They are talking about the BT Distribution Point (DP) for the building. It's usually where all the electric meters are in apartment blocks. But if you've already got dialtone or if your line is already connected through to the cabinet then access to the DP won't be needed.
Standard User ADSHellraiser
(learned) Mon 31-Aug-15 09:02:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apologies for my lack of detail, and thank you for your replies. I have only recently moved into the property, I do not have a land phone so don't know if there is a dial tone. My worry is that the engineer will arrive and won't be able to complete the job. It for standard broadband, not infinity
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Aug-15 09:52:18
Print Post

Even if the phone is for broadband only, it's a very good idea to have a phone handset available to check the line in the event of you having issues.

You can get one from Argos for a fiver: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/552...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
  Print Thread

Jump to