General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mjl123
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:13:33
Print Post

Wiring + Stats question

[link to this post]

I've seen a few posts recently mentioning star wiring and getting this changed. We're in a new build that I believe has star wiring to the extensions from the master socket.

I've got a SSFP Master Socket (like this), so does it matter about how the extensions are wired? Can the extension wiring still affect the broadband?

Currently sync at 1.625 Mbps, but did get 1.875Mbps for a while. Is 1.625 Mbps and the large numebr of errors acceptable given my lines stats, or should I be getting better?

Line stats: http://imgur.com/dv2kC0y.jpg

Wholesale checker results: http://i.imgur.com/c6vLqyx.jpg

Thanks,

Matt
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:34:31
Print Post

Re: Wiring + Stats question

[re: mjl123] [link to this post]

Easiest way to see if the wiring is having an effect is to compare stats: first set when the extensions are connected and the second with bottom half of the face plate removed - that should disconnect all extensions. If an extension still work then you have a problem.

As for your stats ... the 59.9 attenuation suggests a long line and speeds are roughly right. The 3.4 dB SNR - that is low and could be the cause of errors. Forcing it to 3dB from 6dB may give an increase in apparent speed however a lot more errors will creep in and the net result can be that your overall speed is actually lower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:44:49
Print Post

Assuming that is the only Master Socket, not one someone has added since and there is another somewhere, then gently remove the bottom half where the screws are. If there are wires from the back of the removed faceplate, and all extensions stop working when you plug a phone into them, then you don't have (what we call) star wiring.

Say there are three extensions. If each of the used terminals has three wires in, in a way that is star wiring, but it is star wiring from a junction box somewhere before the master that is problematical. From the faceplate terminals it is fine.

It would be an idea to upload a photo to somewhere of the back of that faceplate so we can check the wire colours and the terminals used. In particular, T2 and T5 are vital, T3 is redundant and can cause loss of speed, and the wire colours on T2 and T5 matter.

Any gain we can achieve on a long line like that is welcome smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:04:36
Print Post

A bit on the slow side for that attenuation. As mentioned by others, remove the faceplate on the master to isolate the extensions (check that there's no dial tone on them). Temporarily plug the modem/router into the test socket and then check the stats. If the downstream sync speed is substantially better, then there are some things that can be done to improve the performance. Simply disconnecting the ring line to all the extensions (at the master socket) can have a dramatic effect and costs nothing, but there are more sophisticate approaches.
Standard User mjl123
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:39:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, any improvement to the line would be fantastic!

We did have an issue when the line was first installed that the master socket was installed (by a contractor working for Openreach) to an extension. I raised a fault as we had constant disconnects, and huge variation in sync speeds. An Openreach engineer came out, spotted the problem and moved the master socket to the correct location.

Since then I've removed the ring wire (using the info on your site, RobertoS). After the fault repair and removing the ring wire the sync speed was mostly 1.8 (sometimes synced lower), but in the last few months it seems to have settled at the 1.625 figure.

I'll post stats from the test socket and pics of the wiring and hopefully something will stand out.

Edited by mjl123 (Wed 02-Sep-15 16:42:14)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:45:24
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
Temporarily plug the modem/router into the test socket and then check the stats. I

Test socket is not needed. On te version the OP has there is an RJ11 socket on the upper half - just remove the lower half and continue to use the RJ11 which alleviates the need for an adapter too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 18:54:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Though if stats are still poor going to the next step of removing interstitial plate and testing with a microfilter into the test socket is worth while, the filters in the faceplate or one of its connectors may be bad.

In theory if they have the interstitial plate then the effects of the extensions should have been mitigated by the faceplate (interstitial) filters

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mjl123
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:06:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I removed the front of the Master Socket last night, I think I've got a different Master Socket to the one MHC is thinking of, as I couldn't leave the RJ11 connected to the front and remove the bottom as the whole front comes off: Pic 1, Pic 2.

-Stats in test socket with filter: http://i.imgur.com/bAPlnFt.png
-Stats when back in usual socket: http://i.imgur.com/BQez6bd.png

Oddly enough I actually got slightly better speed (1.688 Mbps vs 1.656 Mpbs) when not in the test socket.

I also took pics of the wiring: http://imgur.com/a/4duRG#0

Just in case the pictures don't show it too well:
-In the bottom terminal: 2 wires (both blue with white stripes)
-In the top terminal: 2 wires (both white with blue bits)
-Not connected to anything: 2x orange/white and 2x green/white

Does this leave me with any options to improve the connection?

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:28:12
Print Post

Looks like your wiring isn't causing any issues with your BB sync then. The wiring on the socket looks fine and the stats are near enough the same as to make little difference.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:30:00
Print Post

There's no significant different in those stats. The slightly higher connection speed had a lower noise margin.

Did you check that you'd lost dial tone on the extensions (so the extensions were definitely disconnected). If so, then it's difficult to see where any improvement might come from.

I assume your locations hasn't been enabled for FTTC.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to