General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Sep-15 15:54:29
Print Post

10-day initial period

[link to this post]

Why oh why do BT Wholesale, and hence (nearly) all their ISP customers continue with the myth that the line speed can improve over the ten days and no fault reports can be considered until the end of it?
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
In a way it is true in the case of ADSLx, where the Maximum Stable rate (MSR) is determined, but that is nothing whatsoever to do with fault detection or handling, or with improving the speed as it "settles in".

To say it applies to FTTC is simply a nonsense.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 04-Sep-15 15:55:11)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Sep-15 15:55:53
Print Post

Re: 10-day initial period

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm guessing it is to shut users up... And it saves having to train staff if they can just say "wait 10 days" even if it isn't true.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Sep-15 16:26:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You can still raise a fault on the line but not a speed fault, this joke, sorry information also applies if you have had an SNR reset as that puts the line back into a training period.

This has always been a load of old tosh to be honest, if you are on a long line on ADSLx then it can take some settling down and can take a few days but anything other than this is rubbish, but hey ho that's what you get with a monopoly

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Sep-15 16:34:16
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I think its fair to say that after 10 days DLM should of determined the best profiles for a line whether vDSL or ADSL.. so if a line is long and clean or short and dirty it will work out the right speed and error correction!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Sep-15 16:37:33
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

What really bugs me is that it was used wrongly in ADSLx days, but how on earth did it ever get put onto the estimator, as quoted, for FTTC?

Nobody with any technical knowledge could write that, and who is allowed to do so without obtaining technical advice first? It's management ignorance and incompetence run rampant.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Sep-15 16:39:31
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

It doesn't work like that, on either ADSLx or FTTC, which have completely different DLMs anyway.

Print Thread

Jump to