General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oaksys
(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-15 11:51:44
Print Post

UK Telecoms User Group *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:35:28
Print Post

Re: UK Telecoms User Group *DELETED*

[re: oaksys] [link to this post]

As a subscriptions based group rather than for example a community campaign group the above post fell into the commercial promotion/solicitation area and thus fell foul of our spam rules.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User oaksys
(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:45:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm of the persuasion the umpire is always right and as the Moderator you have to interpret the rules. I would argue that the subs are only there to fund user group activities such as renting web-conference tools and the whole thing is non-profit. However you have to make the decision even on borderline cases.

My apologies for the breach

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:49:56
Print Post

A Google search gives no hits which indicates the group doesn't exist, so probably a scam.
Standard User oaksys
(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-15 13:00:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not a scam, just shocked to realise the appears to be no UK user group to represent common people. We prepared to make the effort to change that. It's not on Google because the site is only a couple of weeks old and also is not yet cross linked with other sites.

I'll make no further comment as I don't want to go against the moderator's ruling for this forum. I'm not going to get in a row with people, the idea will either float on merit or not.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Sep-15 13:03:55
Print Post

I doubt a paid-for site will succeed on the Internet to be honest.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Sep-15 17:59:13
Print Post

Re: UK Telecoms User Group

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There appear to be identical ".net" and ".org" domains. Presumably one parked on the other. The first was registered on 10 August 2015, to this name and address:-
Registrant Name: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0140959613
Registrant Organization: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0140959613
Registrant Street: 96 Mowat Ave
Registrant City: Toronto
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: M6K 3M1
Registrant Country: CA
The ".org" one was registered around the same time in the OP's name. Following various chains I find a webcollect.org (Open Bracket Ltd). That may be providing the ".org" domain registration and site builder, so that would explain the strange info above.

On another site there is:-
Having been greatly frustrated by the BT Roll Out of BT Infinity and the lack of any real method of representing our views we checked to see if there was a user group we could join to voice our concerns. To our surprise we found nothing to represent the views of everyday working people, students or retired people. There are user groups associated with individual suppliers, but nothing which covers the broad spectrum.

We're announcing the formation of an independent user group for the consumers of telecommunications within the United Kingdom. We will not be aligned with any supplier, industry group or political party. We'll be there to represent individuals and small businesses. Funding is by member subscriptions and not by sponsorship or government grant.
and on the OP's site:-
How do members help out?
We have a variety of memberships. A full member is expected to take an active part in our activities, to contribute their views and to support the campaigns organised by the User Group. You donít have to be a geek or a technician to achieve this, but be someone prepared to put forward your point of view while listening to the opinions of other members. We are looking for a sense of realistic common sense approach to representing public needs.

Full Members
There are two types of full membership. A personal Full Membership, where the views you represent are purely your own as a consumer of telecommunications products. There is also a full business membership where an individual is representing his/her business in its experience of consuming telecommunications services. We are not seeking members who represent telecommunications providers.

Associate Members
Associate membership is for those individuals who want to track what is happening in the UKTUG, but donít want to take an active part in the discussions and campaigns.
I agree with you, I doubt if it will fly. Summarised, the aim is "... to first collect the members views, agree a common strategy, then empower UKTUG members in lobbying the suppliers, regulators and the Government".

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Sun 06-Sep-15 19:04:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There appear to be identical ".net" and ".org" domains. Presumably one parked on the other. The first was registered on 10 August 2015, to this name and address:-
Registrant Name: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0140959613
Registrant Organization: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0140959613
Registrant Street: 96 Mowat Ave
Registrant City: Toronto
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: M6K 3M1
Registrant Country: CA
The ".org" one was registered around the same time in the OP's name. Following various chains I find a webcollect.org (Open Bracket Ltd). That may be providing the ".org" domain registration and site builder, so that would explain the strange info above.

Those contact details are for a WHOIS anonymity service - used to avoid having your name and address details displayed in the domain public domain WHOIS registry (see more). Namely, this one is run by TUCOWS who sell domains under a number of brands (the most popular being Hover).

0140959613 is their unique ID for this domain - if you Google that you find the domain in question!

Edited by Adrianuk (Sun 06-Sep-15 19:07:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Sep-15 19:36:35
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

Thanks, but note that my quote was from the whois details, so I'd already found it. Plus quite a lot of other stuff which I've omitted or summarised.

I'm at a loss as to how he's hoping to cover his costs on annual subscriptions of £10 full, £20 business and £2.50 associate. Quite apart from the admin and organisational time required.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Sep-15 19:48:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe he's planning a return to the e-kebab industry?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to