General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tobias65
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-15 13:23:59
Print Post

Fibre Optic Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi, you say that Superfast Wales is aiming for a target date of December 2015, I received a reply from them last week, stating that Fibre Optic broadband would not be available at my property for 12 months or more. I am very frustrated , disappointed & angry about the situation, as I have bought a new Ultra HD television, with the intention of purchasing BT package to receive BT Ultra HD sport package. I have also renewed my contract back in July 2015, also I have had several communications with Open Reach & Superfast Wales & my local MP, with negative results. The reason for not having it, is the cable from the exchange comes directly, not via the green box, but I am annoyed that I live about 500 to 600 yards from the exchange, also there are neighbours have fibre optic and they live about 20 yards & 5o yards approx from my house. One option they suggested, was me and my neighbours / community to pay for the system, (They must be joking).
Regards :- QUANGO 1948
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 13:32:42
Print Post

Re: Fibre Optic Broadband

[re: tobias65] [link to this post]

What exchange?

I think anyone here would have advised you against buying in advance hardware based on possible availability of service.

The Welsh target is 96% fibre based and for those close to exchanges they are probably already enjoying 5 to 7 Mbps speeds (or should be) and thus you may not be at the top of the priority list.

Harsh to say, but what makes your case more important than a village that is 4km or more from the exchange, of which there a lot in Wales.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ruraldebugging
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-15 14:11:19
Print Post

Hassle your A.M. and M.P, then do it again. As much as 50% of case work is now Broadband (per com Mid Wales A.M and M.P.)

While I might leave out the bit about the Ultra HD telly unless you are a brain surgon and need it so you can see what you are doing for remote brain surgery. 1 year can easily become 2 and you may end up having to pay anyway.

The reason you *SHOULD* make a lot of noise is that there are 10,000's of other people in a similar position in Wales who has similar or worse provision. If enough of us make a noise and make this a voting issue, then we may get some attention from the governemnt in Cardiff who have done the minimum possible to help non-labour voting consituencies to date.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tobias65
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-15 17:20:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for your response, reason for purchasing a new television, my old television had come to the end of the guarantee period, also I had a fantastic deal from Richer Sounds, could not be missed.The annoyance is that Fibre Optic is round the corner to me, & the other is only up the same street , same post code area. Also I did not get any joy via my MP. This problem has been going on since three months approx, not getting nowhere, I am in the process of writing to BT complaint department , I don't build my hope up.
Regards :- tobias65
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Sep-15 17:36:27
Print Post

You bought a new TV because yours had reached the end of its guarantee?

crazy

What speed do you get on your broadband anyway? At 600 yards I'd expect it to be pretty good.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 17:41:56
Print Post

If you tell us the exchange people may be able to take a peek at what is going on in the area

The current Superfast Cymru project only has a 2 Mbps for all as its 100% target, 96% fibre based in a country the size of Wales means 1000's can be skipped totally, and of the 96% probably only 90% will see superfast.

Exchange Only lines which you appear to be generally need more work and thus represent less value for money, and so the bulk of the work goes to other areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tobias65
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:25:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As requested, the telephone exchange in question is :- Dolgellau, Gwynedd, North Wales.
Awaiting your Response, thank you kindly,
Standard User tobias65
(newbie) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:31:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS, What is wrong with buying a new television at the end of the guarantee, It's my choice & when there is a bargain going I will consider the deal.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:34:02
Print Post

Assuming samknows is up to date, that looks as though you are stuck on ADSL Max, maximum 8Mbps. Is that right? Do you have router stats, with your sync/connection speed, attenuation and noise margin please?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:43:02
Print Post

Just not something I've ever heard of before smile. Definitely agree it's up to you how you spend your money.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to