General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-15 20:01:48
Print Post

Moving home and broadband contract?

[link to this post]

I took an offer out last November for BT Broadband and telephone, it was half price for 12 months or something like that. This November I was planning on cancelling as their broadband is [censored] and the telephone etc will be to expensive. I am now moving house next month and I think I have read that if I move addresses and take telephone and broadband with me it automatically renews for another 12 months?

So my question is how do I get around this? Would it be cheaper just to not switch the broadband etc over to the new address and just pay the early termination fee's etc and start afresh with someone else?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Sep-15 20:30:14
Print Post

Re: Moving home and broadband contract?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Starting fresh with someone else probably entails another contract, as for which is cheaper only way to be sure is to ask BT what your current early terminate charges will be

Before jumping its worth noting that others have increased their voice line rental costs too in the last year

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-15 00:35:39
Print Post

As Andrew says.

Remember if you terminate, that although the outstanding period will be charged at below the full rate, you will probably also be charged a Cease fee because the service is being stopped rather than migrated or moved to your new address. Typically about £30 IIRC.

There is a mad-sounding and probably too late to organise thing you could do. It takes about 14 days now to migrate. If you did that very soon, would there still be time to organise a house move with the new provider after the migration, assuming they do it free? You would need to check their T & Cs and think hard.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 18-Sep-15 06:22:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT wouldn't give me a MAC code at this stage into my contract surly? I am 10 months in, by the time I move I will be 11 just the right time to give my notice. Biut what is going to happen is they will renew my contract without any offers which I simply can not afford. I could phone them now and try and give them notice to leave, they might do what most providers do and try every trick under the sun to get me to stay.
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 18-Sep-15 06:44:06
Print Post

Looking at their prices, at the moment I am paying £26 per month for Unlimited downloads and calls, Their offer on this at the moment is £38 which is the most expensive provider available around here, I live in a non LLU area.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-15 10:24:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by falko89:
BT wouldn't give me a MAC code at this stage into my contract surly?
MACs don't exist any more. Even when they did there were no circumstances in which they could refuse to issue one within five working days of the request.

To migrate now you just place your order with your chosen new supplier. As with gas and electricity. Link.
I am 10 months in, by the time I move I will be 11 just the right time to give my notice. Biut what is going to happen is they will renew my contract without any offers which I simply can not afford. I could phone them now and try and give them notice to leave, they might do what most providers do and try every trick under the sun to get me to stay.
Only you know the actual dates. The migration process now seems to take precisely 14 calendar days from order to transfer. There is a mandatory ten-working day period set by Ofcom during which you can change your mind and cancel the migration without penalty by contacting the gaining ISP again. Ofcom being as they are don't know that anywhere works outside Mon-Fri wink, hence the 14 calendar days or maybe more at Bank Holidays.

You have no longer have any need whatsoever to contact your existing ISP to migrate to another, and they are forbidden to contact you to try to persuade you to stay. If you do contact them, then you may very well say something that gives them a reason to offer you something - people normally do this looking for a good retention deal.

Ofcom migration rules effective 20 June 2015.

The new ISP might not be too happy with a house move so soon after joining, but unless it is covered in their T & Cs I doubt if they can do anything about it. Perhaps ask them first?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-15 10:36:51
Print Post

The original poster is moving house, so I don't see where the concept of a migration has crept in?

A migration takes at least 10 working days, so around 3 weeks in real human terms.

Migrating to a new provider with just a few weeks left at a property will just cause home mover problems, by far the best arrangement if you don't want to go with an existing provider is to tell existing provider you wish to cease service, tell them the last day when you want the service to work and find out the termination costs.

Then at the new property you are totally free to make whatever provider choices you want.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-15 10:47:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think you've forgotten a very important part of what I posted originally Andrew smile.
There is a mad-sounding and probably too late to organise thing you could do. It takes about 14 days now to migrate. If you did that very soon, would there still be time to organise a house move with the new provider after the migration, assuming they do it free? You would need to check their T & Cs and think hard.
And in the latest one I point out that the gaining ISP might not be too happy about it anyway.

I agree(d) your initial suggestion was by far the simplest and most straightforward.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As Andrew says.

Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 18-Sep-15 18:07:16
Print Post

Right more issues, I phoned BT who tell me there is not an active line in the house so a £130 connection fee will apply, I find this odd as I know people in that house who had an active line, BT said "Oh it must of been dormant for a while"
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-15 18:37:13
Print Post

You said at the start that you don't want to be with BT at the new place. Have you a short list of possibilities?

What sort of usage do you have? Does it have to be unlimited - do you know how much you download, will there be a lot of users? Do you use the landline much for phone calls or is it just so you can get broadband?

It's all turned too hypothetical now smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to