General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ernieboy
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-15 22:56:53
Print Post

My nightmare with Home Telecom

[link to this post]

Hello,

When I was buying my house last July with Connells they suggested that I go with HomeTelecom (HT) as my Internet Service Provider. My guard was down at the time because I had just gone through the horror of buying a house in England! I had not heard of HT before, but I decided to give them a chance. That was the worst mistake I made when buying my house because that decision still haunts me even today. I wish I had done a little bit more research about HT or just read the reviews!

I will try and be brief. I was moving into the house on 28th July. The HT sales person told me that my service would be activated on July 31st remotely. My router was scheduled to arrive on July 30th. It did not arrive until August 6th because when the delivery guy tried to deliver it on the agreed date I was at work and a neighbour told him that no one had lived in my property for months...because the house had been vacant for so long while it was on sale. So the guy took the router back. I was surprised that happened because the sales person from HT knew that I was a new owner of the house and that could have been communicated to the delivery guy. Maybe I'm asking for too much. After the first failed delivery attempt I spent a great deal of time chasing up both HT and the delivery company trying to get it redelivered. HT customer services were very unhelpful and rather hostile. They never replied to my emails and at one time I resorted to contacting them publicly on their Facebook page.

When my router finally arrived on 06th August I plugged it in in great excitement hoping to finally get on the web. As you would have guessed, the broadband never worked. Since I am a very technical person (I am computer programmer) my first move was to plug a house phone into my phone socket and there was no dial tone. That had to be the problem. I then spent many minutes on the phone to the HT technical services while an engineer was trying to help me fix the problem. At one time he asked me to get a screw driver and open up the phone socket. Twice we got cut off because my mobile phone signal was not great. On both occasions they never bothered to call me back.

On 15th August I had had enough. It was just the stress that I could not deal with anymore. I wrote them an email and asked them to cancel my account and refund my money because they had failed to provide the service which they promised in the time that they had promised. I requested all communications with me to be via emails from that day forward so that I have a trail of our correspondences. I also explained to them that the reason I took the contract was because they promised that the service would be live by 31st July or thereafter. However, they would not have it. They told me that if I cancel it would cost me £407. After much argument they gave me £40 off if I stayed or pay £265 to cancel. In my mind I feel that the service was activated on a dead line because there is no dial tone. However, for their evidence HT have sent me a call log of two test calls which the OpenReach engineer made from my number and got a dial tone to prove that the line was working. This is the bit that baffles me. Surely the absolute sure way to tell that the line is working is to test it from the phone socket inside my house with a phone. Then that would leave the engineer with do doubt that the phone line works. How exactly did OpenReach test it. Can someone please explain if I am missing something?

I personally feel that they should just take back their router and refund my money and let me go. However, it does not work like that; it's like they've got claws on me and they can't let go. I really hate what they have done because they have made my house move hell!

What are your thoughts...please don't tell me that I'm an idiot for going with them in the first place because I know that alreadywink Thanks for your time.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Sep-15 23:05:17
Print Post

Re: My nightmare with Home Telecom

[re: ernieboy] [link to this post]

Who do you pay the phone line rental to?
Standard User ernieboy
(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-15 08:16:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

To Home Telecom BatBoy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Sep-15 08:29:16
Print Post

I remember the director posting when they took over Bulldog http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bulldog/t/4089280-b...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 18-Sep-15 09:22:15
Print Post

You are not alone ... two earlier threads:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4286147-r...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/t/42861...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-15 10:01:10
Print Post

The usual way these things work is you give them a reasonable ultimatum to deliver the ordered service and if unable to meet it then they've not met the contract in your view.

Of course they will chase their pound of flesh, so may be the time to see some independent advice from CAB

If they cannot or fail to provide a service they cannot make you pay for outstanding contract, unless the reason service failed was down to something you did e.g. give them wrong address details etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User btbert
(committed) Fri 18-Sep-15 17:52:57
Print Post

They can do a test call in the exch on your line , this should be to do a line test so no charge to you.A lot of times if test come back as LTOK (line test ok) the job is closed off. But how do they know the line is going to the right house ? they dont !

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 18-Sep-15 19:33:40
Print Post

"Surely the absolute sure way to tell that the line is working is to test it from the phone socket inside my house with a phone."

Have you tried that?

And correspondingly tried ringing in?

Whatever the results, doing so and knowing the results places you in a much stronger position.

It also clarifies the situation for the forum members.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Sep-15 20:03:17
Print Post

Surely the absolute sure way to tell that the line is working is to test it from the phone socket inside my house with a phone.

Have you checked to see if that socket is wired?

Have you reported a voice fault (don't mention broadband) to Home Telecom, tell them you can't dial out and friends cannot contact you.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/broadband/advice/372354/fix...

plusnet user
Standard User ernieboy
(newbie) Sat 26-Sep-15 20:03:58
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for your replies. It's fixed now. As I had been explaining to HT all along, the line had been cut off inside the house and that is why there was no dial tone. The OpenReach engineer came to fix it. We are now rebuilding the relationship from scratch again and they appear to be sincere, so I hope it works out. I just wished that they had communicated better from the beginning when the problem started instead of ignoring me.
  Print Thread

Jump to