General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-15 19:11:50
Print Post

DLM AGAIN!!!!

[link to this post]

I don't believe this! I lost internet momentarily again today and DLM has changed my Target SNR from 6 to 9, so my sync speed is now just over 5 !!!!

I used to get 3db and sync of 6.7 (I had this for years with no problems) I don't understand my line normally stays up anywhere from 7 days to 21 days before a re-sync. Which took less then 30 secs, so I don't understand why the target margin would have increased by another 3DB!

I am wondering if this is to do with the fibre work in my area. Is there anything I can do to get my speed back?
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:14:18
Print Post

Re: DLM AGAIN!!!!

[re: zarkrax] [link to this post]

Right I have got my old ciao at home router out of retirement, and replaced the micro filter and hooray I am back up to just over 6k and target SNR Is back to 6DB.

Would this likely be an Issue with router or micro-filter?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:16:37
Print Post

I'd say don't [censored] about with it too much, or else DLM might actually kick in. wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:18:29
Print Post

There was a burst of noise on the line, and the re-sync completed while some of it was still present.

Hence a low sync at 6dB.

The noise stopped so the noise margin rose. Sync always stays the same in such situations until you re-sync manually. I'd be fairly sure that's all you needed to do.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:22:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry I should have said I rebooted as soon I got in from work about 2 hours later I think at 6.30pm, and it still went to 9db. Hence the reason of starting to swap out kit.
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:24:37
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

I'd say don't [censored] about with it too much, or else DLM might actually kick in. wink

LOL yep that's why I changed everything to minimise reboot times laugh
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 13:16:46
Print Post

Ah... Spoke a bit too soon.

Everything was ok, until it went under load, and the router tried to reboot. To be fair the router hasn't had a firmware upgrade since 2005. (CISCO at home HG200 and there isn't anything new frown)

So I have replaced it back with my Netgear DGN2200 ATM. (Still SNR at 9 but sync at 5.5k)

As I haven't got a decent back up router anymore are either too old (D-Link DSL-504), or BT home hubs (Which I remember had a load issue on my wireless).

I have bought a billion 8800NL to replace it with (It also has the added advantage of being 17a fibre compatible when we get it).

One thing I wanted to ask I see the router is capable of tweaking the SNR margin on ADSL. If I played with those settings. Apart from the risk of stuffing up my own line, am I likely to causes issues with contention on the line for somebody else?

Thanks all.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:52:07
Print Post

One thing I wanted to ask I see the router is capable of tweaking the SNR margin on ADSL. If I played with those settings. Apart from the risk of stuffing up my own line, am I likely to causes issues with contention on the line for somebody else?

I suspect you have misunderstood what tweaking the SNR achieves.

Standard User zarkrax
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:43:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

As I understand it, I put in a value through the relevant web page and the router tricks the exchange to negotiate a lower (or higher if you set that )target SNR. So it should increase/decrease my sync speed. Of course it doesn't mean line will be stable, or I upset the DLM and this only works for ADSL.

The reason I asked my question as I was wondering why my Target SNR has increased in the first place, and one of the reasons I have read could be contention. So I wondered if lowering my Target SNR on purpose could cause contention issues with others.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:56:58
Print Post

Contention won't cause your SNRM to change, or affect the sync speed. Noise will.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to