General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 19:26:06
Print Post

screeming at the cost increase

[link to this post]

When I started with ADSL in 2002 the overall cost was £381.24 for a phone line plus a 512Kdown/256Kup ADSL service. Now in 2015, only 13 years later, I am fuming that it actually costs me £436.80 for a phone line plus a FTTC 40Mdown/20Mup service. That's an EXTRA £55.56 per year (approx. 15%) over the original cost more than 13 years ago.

smile Its amazing that technology changes and for an extra £0.16 or 16p per day, I now have a massive difference in speed. I am one of the lucky ones, but in reality the extra coms cost has been approx. 1p ish per year extra per day on the cost I decided to pay all those years ago. It is also interesting to note that the extra cost is in the telephone line component rather than the xDSL cost.

I think I would have paid the extra 15% then if FTTC was available in 2002.

IanD
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 12:37:50
Print Post

Re: screeming at the cost increase

[re: iand] [link to this post]

It's actually got cheaper. That £381.24 is more like £660 after adjusting for inflation by the Consumer Price Index.

This is a bad thing though. I'd rather broadband cost twice as much and had more investment myself.
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 13:01:58
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

I thought the Broadband Tax was a great idea! Let the people fund it!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-15 14:27:27
Print Post

Not sure what you're complaining about. Since 2002, the RPI has gone up about 50%. And you've got an incredibly faster broadband connection - 80x improvement. So a 15% increase sounds pretty good. You could always go back to ADSL wink
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:18:34
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
It's actually got cheaper. That £381.24 is more like £660 after adjusting for inflation by the Consumer Price Index.

This is a bad thing though. I'd rather broadband cost twice as much and had more investment myself.

Unfortunately you are in a very, very small minority! 99.99% of customers want it to be as cheap as possible with someone else picking up the investment costs - the same people who complain when customer services do not answer quickly or work from scripts or when there is congestion, or their hamlet is not getting FTTC &c.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:28:14
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I detected a modicum of sarcasm in the original post.

It is worth adding that considering what we all do with our mainly limited connections now compared to even four years ago, data use and cost of backhaul/interconnects may be behind some of the increases.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:43:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Unfortunately you are in a very, very small minority! 99.99% of customers want it to be as cheap as possible with someone else picking up the investment costs - the same people who complain when customer services do not answer quickly or work from scripts or when there is congestion, or their hamlet is not getting FTTC &c.

Very well said indeed.

Standard User zarkrax
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:58:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

I would of happily paid more for Fibre (if we ever get it) or for better service, FWIW I went with B.T Broadband myself as I mistakenly thought they would be the same company as supplies the line, and cut out the middle man. How wrong was I ?! When I see other ISP's bend over backwards with Openreach.

I do marvel how BT have done the best they can sending data down aging copper wires.
But we do now need to have all this upgraded, hence I liked the idea of the Broadband Tax. Even so, it does look like the BDUK program will eventually cover most places.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-15 23:27:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You noticed. Yes for around the same cost we get so much more. It was surprising that the bb cost has gone down while the line cost has actually gone up. All the talk is about bb costs while no one is realy mentioning the fixed line rental costs. We have not seen any material change in phone lines, so why the cost increase!.

IanD
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-15 08:44:44
Print Post

We have not seen any material change in phone lines, so why the cost increase!.

I would hazard a guess that it produces more revenue than increasing BB by a pound or three a month?

I've seen adverts on the TV for broadband but not an advert solely saying our line rental is the cheapest.

plusnet user
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to