General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-15 23:15:20
Print Post

Possible interference between router and cordless phone

[link to this post]

I few months ago (March 2015) we bought a BT4500 big button cordless phone with answer. We have always used corded phone until then. It was sited a couple feet away from the router (Plusnet supplied TG582n). We have the phone on permanent answer to screen calls. Probably 1 out of 3 times the phone will answer the message starts to get left, I lift the handset to connect with the caller, and it cuts off. This went on for some time so I called BT helpline who recommended restarting by unplugging for some minutes then plug in again. They also asked was in near any electrical equipment so I mentioned the proximity of the router, and it was suggested I might need to put the phone further away.

Reboot didn't help and neither does moving the phone about 4 feet from the router.

I read something about routers operating at 2.4GHz and that some phones operate at the same frequency, causing interference, but also that most phone operate at different frequencies.

Just wondered if anyone knows if this might be my problem, or that the phone is actually faulty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Security,
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
Standard User APTMAN
(learned) Wed 23-Sep-15 00:52:05
Print Post

Re: Possible interference between router and cordless phone

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

WiFi does work on 2.4Ghz, we have one on them phones and have no problems with it.
Could try moving it away .
More likely they are PPI calls or calls to say your computers got a virus.
You need to get someone you know that could phone you and test it or phone from your mobile to test it.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-15 07:18:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob54:
I read something about routers operating at 2.4GHz and that some phones operate at the same frequency, causing interference, but also that most phone operate at different frequencies.

Almost all modern cordless phones use DECT, operating at 1880-1900MHz. There might be an EMC issue with having the base station too close to the router, but there's no fundamental incompatibility between a DECT cordless phone and Wi-Fi.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 23-Sep-15 07:58:09
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

My wireless router and DECT master sit side by side with no problem.

As APTMAN suggests it is more likely to be nuisance calls or autodiallers which hang up as soon as you answer your phone.
Standard User keith969
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-15 10:02:31
Print Post

Have you got caller number display? I often get calls (1-2 times a day) from 'international' or numbers I don't recognise. If the latter, type the number into google and see if it's a well known spammer. When they call, a few seconds after the answerphone kicks in, they hang up.
Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 23-Sep-15 12:45:16
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
WiFi does work on 2.4Ghz, we have one on them phones and have no problems with it.
Could try moving it away .
More likely they are PPI calls or calls to say your computers got a virus.
You need to get someone you know that could phone you and test it or phone from your mobile to test it.

We don't get many calls usually, but those we get are mainly from my sister who calls often as our mother is ill. Nuisance calls are the very reason we have phone on answer all the time. If it was British Gas or anything like that like you suggest, they ring off the moment they hear the message. Sometimes you can hear the buzz of a call centre if they don't cut the call smartly. We don't have caller display. The times I've tried calling it myself from a mobile, it answers fine!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Security,
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 23-Sep-15 12:53:34
Print Post

In addition, try asking relatives, friends etc who are likely to call you, whether they have noticed any problems.

If they have not, it makes it more likely that the calls are of the variety that others have described.

-----

I was amazed about 25 years back before this automated nuisance calls era, that for a period approaching a year, our phone would very frequently ring, then stop before we reached the solitary hand-set of that era.

However on one occasion when I happened to be beside it, I managed to answer quickly, to discover a relative 450 miles away, in conversation with our local police station, about 1 mile away.

On making enquiries with various relatives, I discovered that several had encountered this, although the numbers were distinctly different, thus most unlikely to be simple mis-keying, of the "one digit out" nature.

One relative had been threatened with a charge of making nuisance calls etc!

When I reported it to GPOT/BT, the local Exchange Engineer called me to explain he had found that somehow one of the Cross-Bar units involved (successor to Strowgers) was making simultaneous connection to the police station line - where with staff quickly answering, explained the ringing ceasing quickly in our house.

During that period, we had no problems making calls, ie "ringing out".

BUT I was very surprised that none of the relatives had mentioned the problems to us, given the extended period that they occurred over.

-----------

Another frequent problem but at work, back then was that from 1972, we had dial-up facilities, to make contact with a main-frame in Birmingham, about 330 miles away, so again a well-known number to myself and my colleagues.

All too frequently, we would be connected regularly to either of two other numbers.

With the first, as we did not quickly hear the remote computer response, the warbling "handshakes" of dial-up modems, we would hang up and try again.

It was an "Ex-Directory" number in Birmingham, where the lady of the house had noted the phone bell ringing; but had generally been in her bath, around our starting time of 8 am, so had not answered.

GPOT put it down to the two-bare-wires line of the period, passing through the branches of a tree in her garden, so she was rather re-assured one morning, when I had waited, she had answered; and we were able to establish that it was our calls being mis-routed.

----

The other wrong number was usually answered very quickly, as it was "Greater Manchester Police HQ".

Basically given the technology of the era, there was very little to nothing that we or the GPOT could do about it.

------------------------

I could also tell if there were storms in the Lake District by the qualities of the calls.
  Print Thread

Jump to