General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JBlaze772
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-15 14:48:08
Print Post

ADSL drops when phone rings

[link to this post]

Hello, I have a strange problem that seems to be getting gradually worse.. My broadband disconnects when my phone rings? It doesn't happen every time, but it does seem to be happening a lot more often. One day last week I got booted off 5-6 times in one day, then went 3 days with no cut outs. It's very strange.

Before getting BT involved I want to make sure I've done everything I can my side of things.

I'm not sure if my nte5 socket is my actual master socket. I believe my line was relocated to the rear of the house at some point, and looks like I have an external grey box up near my bathroom window. The overhead telephone cable goes into that box, and then I have 2 wires coming down the outside wall and into a room that was previously used as an office, with about 5 sockets in it. Is that grey box an external NTE? With it being up near the roof I cant get at it to investigate.

If the problem is in that box will I get charged for it?

I've disconnected all the old unused sockets/extensions coming in via one of those cables, and actually installed a vdsl faceplate as well onto the only working socket. (I'm due to be able to get fibre towards the end of the year, so I want to make sure all my equipment is working fine, and eliminate any possible setbacks)

Any suggestions?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 28-Sep-15 14:52:31
Print Post

Re: ADSL drops when phone rings

[re: JBlaze772] [link to this post]

Photographs of the external box and those inside the house would be a good starting point.

For those in the house, the front and the internal wiring would be useful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JBlaze772
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-15 16:16:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You're quite right, should of thought of that beforehand...

Here is the external box: http://i.imgur.com/Pzzxk0r.jpg

I don't have a picture of all the original sockets (I removed all the inactive ones except one which leads out the front of the house?) but heres how it looks now: http://i.imgur.com/zoari1n.jpg
There were originally 5 sockets in a row, and only the second one worked. When I opened them up, none of them were actually connected anymore, as seen in the image below, so I removed the rest and cleaned up the wiring to that one.

The one on the right leads outside the front of the house, but is also not connected inside: http://i.imgur.com/WRhRlPd.jpg

Heres my new socket/faceplate I installed:
http://i.imgur.com/zoari1n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KNmsWTw.jpg

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 16:30:17
Print Post

The 'grey box' is a BT66, an external junction box, if there is a fault in there, then that's down to the service provider to get repaired free of charge.

Its not entirely clear from the other photo's linked whats doing what.

As for the original problem, ADSL dropping on phone ringing, the first thing I'd suspect is the filter in use at your property, have you tried changing that ?

Standard User JBlaze772
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-15 16:52:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, I've tried two microfilter dongles, and now just changed over to an actual vdsl plate to cut out the extension cords I was originally using to reach the router. Trying to eliminate as much internal wiring from the socket as possible to figure this out.

I've just stumbled across a couple of posts on the BT forums via google that explain similar symptoms, and the general diagnosis seems to be a high resistance fault?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 17:01:59
Print Post

and the general diagnosis seems to be a high resistance fault?

Hmm, maybe, but I'm not so sure. Dropping sync on incoming/outgoing calls is symptomatic of an HR *sometimes* Dropping sync when the phone rings is a different kettle of fish. It *can* be a fault with the exchange equipment sometimes, but I'd still like a clear description of how it all gets from A to B in your property ....
I've tried two microfilter dongles, and now just changed over to an actual vdsl plate to cut out the extension cords I was originally using to reach the router. Trying to eliminate as much internal wiring from the socket as possible to figure this out.

All sounds a bit Heath Robinson to me .....

Standard User JBlaze772
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-15 17:37:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I appreciate the replies, not sure what other information I can provide you with though. As said, cable comes in from what I now know to be a junction box, and goes into the socket I left attached to the wall. No other extension sockets are in my property, so that's it for wiring.

I'm assuming that's my master socket, correct? (So I shouldn't really of poked around and updated the box from an old screw style terminal connection to an idc style box)

I know it's kind of difficult to explain, but if you had seen the state of the other boxes/wiring before I removed them you would of been amazed, and probably 5x more confused as to what was going on..
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 18:00:07
Print Post

So I shouldn't really of poked around and updated the box from an old screw style terminal connection to an idc style box

Yep.

If the wiring is as described by you is correct, then it should be straight forward, report the issue to your ISP

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 28-Sep-15 18:10:40
Print Post

I had this very problem but was never fixed, have it to this day. gave up after 4 engineer visits and just decided to unplug my home phone as it was cutting my net of and causing my speed to drop. happening for around 4 years now so let us know if you find a solution smile.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Sep-15 18:14:26
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

So your problem only happens when the phone is connected? This would indicate the phone is at fault, or the filter. Have you replaced the phone?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to