General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:35:16
Print Post

REIN problem in Fulwood Preston PR2 9**

[link to this post]

Hi For some months I have been having a problem with REIN.
Whilst BTOR agree there is a problem they have been unable to pin the source down, but it is believed to be in a small shop complex.
It is unlikely that I am the only person in the area that is suffering though maybe due to the timing (daytime 9am til 7pm) weekdays the problem may not be noticed by many.
It presents as an increase in errors with the subsequent reduction in throughput and the general reduction in service due to DLM. Consequently it still has an after effect evenings and weekends.
It will not affect anyone on cable and the affect on Fibre service is not known though it is
probably less likely to impact on those speeds.

If anyone living in this area thinks they may have or have had such a problem please post below or send me a PM.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 10:24:29
Print Post

Re: REIN problem in Fulwood Preston PR2 9**

[re: Roldec] [link to this post]

If the source is indeed in a shop complex, then pinning it down will be tricky. The usual tactics employed by REIN engineers, turning off the power to various premises to localise are unlikely to be looked upon favourably by the shops owners.

How far are you from the supposed source ? Quite some way I'd suppose, as it's only causing minor errors.

Standard User APTMAN
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 14:46:00
Print Post

Get a portable radio, tune to 612KHz and have a walk about your area like I did two weeks ago with headphones on and pointing my radio in different directions,
You do get some funny looks but who cares.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-15 15:54:25
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

@ APTMAN
Thank you for your interest. I have done the AM radio bit but there is so much electrical noise
within 3 meters of the complex it is impossible to define which is the offending noise let alone where it comes from
Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-15 16:09:14
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

@ Zarjaz Thank you for your interest. Yes tricky indeed.

I dont expect BT can knock off the power I did suggest to the last engineer that if they could gain access to a suspected source they may be able to switch some machines off one at a time and I can tell almost at once (on Routerstats )when that happens. It would need them to have a 2 man visit though one "ordinary" engineer and one from rein team. which is why I am trying to contact others suffering in the same area. I dont think they will go to that trouble for just one complaint.

Only about 400 meters from the suspected source . I reckon I am losing about 3Mb of throughput but no actual drops. In some ways it would be better if it was worse!!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 30-Sep-15 17:21:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Roldec:
Only about 400 meters from the suspected source . I reckon I am losing about 3Mb of throughput but no actual drops. In some ways it would be better if it was worse!!

What do you think the source actually is? No names, no locations, just what is there and why do you think it is causing it?

I came across one a few years back - several houses had issues from 8:00 PM to around midnight. One particular resident did not see the problems whereas his wife did. He was out in his roadside burger van every evening and he would stand his generator right next to the BT cabinet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-15 18:04:33
Print Post

There is no 'REIN team' just 'ordinary engineers with additional training and equipment.

Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-15 19:33:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cant say much/anything wink
All I will say is that for the last 4 months I have been keeping on/off times for the Rein and
they coincide almost exactly with the opening hours of one business in a small shopping complex. On is 15-20 mins before they open and off is around 10 mins before they close.
I am in contact with them but they do not believe there is a problem as of course whatever might cause it does not show an obvious fault and as they are on 65-75Mbps Fibre so any slight reduction in speed would probably not be noticed, in fact they have said they are happy with their speed. I am trying to keep them on my side.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Sep-15 19:38:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I came across one a few years back - several houses had issues from 8:00 PM to around midnight

Many years ago i had problems where my connection would die exactly the same time every night for 2 hours, then come back until the next day. Turns out it was a BRAS server that was playing up and effecting 20 or so people connected to it.

Very odd
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 30-Sep-15 19:43:47
Print Post

I was wondering if they had a specific piece of equipment - that could be causing the problem. Something that could be a few years old with several motors - a press, vacuum former, printing machine, &c &c.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to