General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alex_london123
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 00:14:22
Print Post

Plusnet issues and 'lift & shift' solution at exchange

[link to this post]

Hi!

The context: I have a nightmare internet connection (slow connection often below 2Mbps, frequent disconnections), despite living in a newly built property where all neighbours are getting a decent +10Mbps connection. My ISP, Plusnet, has gone round in circles for 6 months and is still unable to fix the issue. They've ruled out cabling/telephony issues, connection settings and cabling from flat to the nearest green box (after +10 BT openreach visits). They're now saying that there is a high chance that the issue is caused by their own router-modem, which causes the connection to 'trip'. At the same time they're refusing to replace is free of charge or to do any checks at the telephone exchange. I've purchased my own router (Asus RT-N66U), but cannot connect to the broadband as Plusnet's connection type PPPoA is not one of the options of this router. This means I'm back to where I started: there's no way to see if this is indeed a router issue or not, Plusnet refuses to do anything else and won't help me configure my own router.

Question:
I'm thinking of changing provider altogether, but I'm not sure if I will inherit the same problem that I'm experiencing with Plusnet. The question I have is the following: does a new ISP make any hardware changes at the exchange? I have been told of a 'lift and shift' hardware change procedure. If this is something hey do as part of setting up a new user - then I basically just need to change ISP as the possible issue at the exchange would be addressed and I will also get a new modem that I can use with my router. Could anyone help on this?

Much appreciate any advice.
Alex
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Oct-15 08:37:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet issues and 'lift & shift' solution at exchange

[re: Alex_london123] [link to this post]

I'm thinking of changing provider altogether, but I'm not sure if I will inherit the same problem that I'm experiencing with Plusnet. The question I have is the following: does a new ISP make any hardware changes at the exchange?

Depends which provider you choose. If its an llu provider e.g. sky/talk talk, then by default your line will connect to different equipment. Most other ISP's wil use BT Wholesale and there will not be a change of equipment when you switch.
I think the router you bought does not have a built in modem so cannot be used directly on any ADSL connection.
Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 04-Oct-15 09:07:27
Print Post

As a first step I'd advise getting a router that will do the business (and return the one you bought) and see if that will solve the problem

A Billion 7800n will work well with Plusnet ADSL and has a great reputation for getting a stable connection with the ISP. It also has many settings and options that other routers do not have

Buy a good second hand one. There are plenty examples from as low as £20 where someone has moved to fibre and has one for sale

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 10:16:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alex_london123:
I've purchased my own router (Asus RT-N66U), but cannot connect to the broadband as Plusnet's connection type PPPoA is not one of the options of this router.

That is not only Plusnet's connection type , I believe (limited knowledge) that is the type for any ADSL connection.
The Asus RT-N66U is a fine router but it is ONLY a router so needs paired with a Modem.

I am surprised that PN will not replace the router if they think that is the problem Mine was replaced a few years back though I may have had to pay £5 postage.

Has REIN been suggested as a possible problem are your speeds the same all the time
or is it sometimes better. Are you connecting with a cat5 ethernet cable or wifi
Are your neighbours with better speeds on ASDSL or Fibre

Edited by Roldec (Sun 04-Oct-15 10:43:02)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 12:43:19
Print Post

Can you not borrow a spare router? I can't be the only person with a collection of several spare ones. I have always had a spare device for problem diagnosis, partly because my original ISP supplied a 'frog' and once I had a working connection I went out and bought a router.

That would tell you if the router is the problem, which is something I would establish before thinking of changing suppliers.

Michael Chare
Standard User keith969
(regular) Sun 04-Oct-15 13:07:02
Print Post

Are you using a direct ethernet connection to your PC/whatever or wifi? IMHO wifi can have a dramatic effect on speed.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Oct-15 22:32:57
Print Post

Using the PN router modem can you get the line stats using an ethernet cable between router modem and the computer.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

plusnet user
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Oct-15 08:40:50
Print Post

Can you not get whoever you bought the router from let you swap it for a DSL-N66U (the equivalent with a built in modem)?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
  Print Thread

Jump to