General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User skyblueoz
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-15 09:50:16
Print Post

virgin disconnects, snr fault?

[link to this post]

So I've been having random disconnects for months now. I will lose all signal from my superhub and nothing works. Then after a couple of minutes, the signal reappears and everything is fine.

It used to happen every so often and was just an inconvenience. Now however, it can be as often as every 15 minutes.

I've spoke to virgin who sent an engineer out and checked everything in the house, (which was all ok,) they did say there is a snr fault in the area however.

Below I'll post my quality/ping monitor. It shows big spikes in both latency and packet loss. Is this graph normal for a snr fault or is it something else?

(Also please note, I'm clueless about all this stuff and am trying to learn as I go.)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b422787fd38...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Oct-15 10:12:50
Print Post

Re: virgin disconnects, snr fault?

[re: skyblueoz] [link to this post]

They look too regular for a traditional noise fault and cable networks are sold on not suffering from noise problems so make sure they keep on trying to fix

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Oct-15 00:14:20
Print Post

What happens if you turn off the wifi of the router?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User skyblueoz
(newbie) Mon 05-Oct-15 07:21:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you mean just running it in modem mode, I tried it and kept my Xbox connected. The Xbox still suffered from drop outs just the same.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Oct-15 10:55:41
Print Post

No, I meant using it with Ethernet connections only and disabling the wireless. It should be possible to turn off the wireless facility in the router, but leave the router running. If you can do that for a couple of hours, see if the spikes go away. Don't just stop connecting wireless devices, make sure the router isn't providing wifi.

This happens with some Billion and ZyXEL ruters, but not as badly as yours appears. It's worth ruling it out as the cause though, by trying it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to