General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 11:09:12
Print Post

QUERY Re. INTERNAL WIRING

[link to this post]

I live in a multi occupancy building...apartments.

The incoming telephone line is E.O. > 6 Kms, as expected we all suffer very low B.B. speeds, somewhere between 0.75- 1.7 Mbs.

The incoming cable is terminated at an internal O.R. D.P.

From the D.P. there is the usual internal cabling which runs in an unknown "space" which is common to all the electrical services, eg: mains, intercom, TV services.

The internal cabling runs to all the apartments, and is terminated with the usual O.R. NTE

A recent visit by an O.R. Tech. confirmed that there is a considerable drop in speed between the D.P. and various apartments.

I asked him about a rewire in better quality cable from DP to the NTE, he just laughed!!

My question to "the team", who is actually responsible for the cabling from DP to NTE?

If O.R. are responsible, how do we pursuade them to do the work?

If not can we have a private contractor to do the work, and pehaps rewire using CAT 5 or 6?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 11:14:20
Print Post

Re: QUERY Re. INTERNAL WIRING

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

The wiring from DP to NTE is the realm of Openreach, and the way to persuade them is to pay money.

If twisted pair wiring is used then noise rejection should be reasonable, but with such long lines the slightest problems can see speeds dropping off a lot, so sharing ducting with other stuff like mains won't help, and it the same ducting was used the issue would be likely to remain.

Where abouts in the UK is the building, might be able to persuade the relevant BDUK project to do something, e.g. Fibre to the Remote Node and a small VDSL2 DSLAM at the DP. Or if in a city where Hyperoptic consider talking to them to see if building of a scale and location that might allow them to do their stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 11:21:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There is a considerable amount of electrical interference in the building, as checked with a M.W. radio.

My initial idea was to run twisted pair well away from the other internal cabling.

The exchange is MYSEA, which is FIBRE ENABLED.

No HYPEROPTIC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 11:52:20
Print Post

Routing twisted pair via another route may mean less noise, but might also mean increased distance if not careful, also raises questions over permission from the landlord of the building.

Beyond any pricing issues getting the landlord on board is usually the key, and also while I know even just 0.5 Mbps extra when you have low speeds is useful, some extended testing needs to be done to learn what the possible boost will be from an internal rewire.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:06:03
Print Post

Thanks, I realise that there is a bit of a "trial & error" here.

I did think about disconnecting my internal cable from the DP, and running some cat 5 to my apartment.

Yes, I do know that I should not be tampering with the DP.....only thinking about it.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:08:46
Print Post

Where abouts in the UK is the building

LS8 2JP
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:25:17
Print Post

Okay I think the best way forward would be to boost speeds outside of the premises, cabinet 29 which serves premises nearby including those in LS8 2BF offer the prospect of 20 to 25 Mbps from FTTC.

This is termed a network rearrangement and is something that a group of people can pay for, or you may want to explore what the West Yorkshire BDUK project with its ongoing phases are planning to do.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7019-phase-2-cont...

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:28:52
Print Post

Thank you, I will attempt with other residents to move forward using your recommendations.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:47:20
Print Post

Re: QUERY Re. INTERNAL WIRING *DELETED*

Post deleted by Brunel
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 11-Oct-15 12:52:33
Print Post

BT have never allowed their cables to share ducting with mains cables.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to