General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 20:25:01
Print Post

Man buys the google.com domain

[link to this post]

Link.

What a shame he didn't buy it through some other registrar smile. Or would any other registrar have cancelled the transaction through fear? What legal grounds could there be for it to be cancelled? Is it allowed for other domains?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 08:36:38
Print Post

Re: Man buys the google.com domain

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Domains can be reclaimed by the owners. In fact, even if google let it lapse for some time they could still get it back because it is clearly a domain that goes with their brand. Others that have never owned a domain have been able to take them over because they belong to their brand.

What I haven't quite worked out in this case is whether the domain was ever truly available publicly. The domain was offered via the google domains registrar - it could just be that there was a coding issue on the site that allowed the domain to be made available despite it not actually being so.

In general domains that are brand based pretty much belong to the brand if they choose to take them up. See this news story.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 11:05:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
What I haven't quite worked out in this case is whether the domain was ever truly available publicly. The domain was offered via the google domains registrar - it could just be that there was a coding issue on the site that allowed the domain to be made available despite it not actually being so.

I think that was the case, that it was never actually expired publicly, judging by whois:

Created on..............: 1997-09-15.
Expires on..............: 2020-09-13.
Record last updated on..: 2013-02-28.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Wed 14-Oct-15 00:01:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Chap in Derby bought the domain names for the new 'indoor cycle track' before the council even had thought about it, they complained and in the end he was ordered to hand them to the council !.
His idea was to sell them to the council and make a few ££££'s
  Print Thread

Jump to