General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(member) Mon 26-Oct-15 12:36:09
Print Post

Firefox/ Broadband speeds.

[link to this post]

A strange thing happened yesterday (I use Firefox 41.0.2). My down speed dropped from the 'normal' 35'ish to around 1, occasionally 2. Up took a drop but a smaller percentage.

I started the 'ticket' with my ISP and ran the requested BT speed check which gave just over 2 down.

On a whim, I decided to run the TBB speed test in IE - all 'normal'! At this point I did a Firefox 'Refresh' which returned my speeds to 26'ish down. Not sure why tihis can happen?

I will be checking Firefox in 'safe' mode soon.

Any clues?

I have cancelled the ISP ticket!
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 12:45:27
Print Post

Re: Firefox/ Broadband speeds.

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

I get this. I think its down to a memory leak in Firefox. Are you running the Flashplayer plugin within Firefox? (alot of sites will call the process to play videos). This seems to speed up the memory leak and thus slow down Firefox.

I had it abit ago where speedtests were slow, i closed and reopened Firefox and suddently nice and steady again. If you notice when you leave Firefox open for hours the memory usage goes from 250k to around 500-700k even with only 1 tab open
Standard User mikejp
(member) Mon 26-Oct-15 17:41:33
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Flash - yes. Having 'Refreshed' my FF the speeds are now OK so I'll tip-toe on. I do prefer FF to Chrome and IE - that is the problem.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 18:04:19
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

I use Noscripts aswell which i dunno if it slows things down but prefer it for security
  Print Thread

Jump to