General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PMSG
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 22:33:26
Print Post

Jumpers(again!)

[link to this post]

Does having jumpers in place on your line reduce the broadband speed you get?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 22:37:52
Print Post

Re: Jumpers(again!)

[re: PMSG] [link to this post]

Edit:
Sorry, I didn't spot the newbie label.

Welcome to the forums.

A more helpful answer is that any such effect will be minor. At worst they add double the cable distance between the PCP (phone cabinet) and the FTTC cabinet to your distance from the exchange.
*******************************************************************************************************

That's a woolly question. Here's my line details:-
Telephone Number 0161xxxxxxx on Exchange STEPPING HILL is served by Cabinet nn

FTTC Range A (Clean) 60 39.8 16.3 9.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 50.6 30 15.8 7.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4 Up to 0.5 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line has jumpers in place.
They add considerably to my broadband speed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 28-Oct-15 22:42:04)

Standard User PMSG
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 22:44:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK I'll try again then smile

Does having jumpers in place make my line 'impacted' (ie. do jumpers prevent a line from being 'clean') and hence slower than it would be if it were 'clean'?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Oct-15 22:46:29
Print Post

No. Jumpers are fine, they don't affect you at all. Ignore them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 22:58:42
Print Post

smile
As BatBoy says. No, they will not make it "unclean".

I hope I did my edit before you read my post? You may have missed it - so I apologise for my levity if you did.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User PMSG
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 23:00:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for re-assurance re jumpers - I was looking for a reason why my line is 'impacted' delivering a downstream line rate of 18.7 in the 'impacted range of 24.9 to 12.5 (compared to a 'clean' range of 32.4 to 22.4).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Oct-15 00:00:27
Print Post

It's the jumpers that connect your line to the link between the PCP and FTTP cabinets. Without them you don't get FTTC.

Was your FTTC a self-install? If so, please can you tell us which socket in the house it is connected to.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 07:15:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Though you are correct Bob, every line has jumpers in place, exchange and cab jumpers, whether PSTN, ADSL or FTTC.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Thu 29-Oct-15 09:01:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have no idea why this is still on the availability checker! It's confusing for people and totally irrelevant

All it means is if the line has jumpers left in place then these need to be removed before ADSL can be ordered.

Conversely, it also means that if the person orders FTTC a visit to the cabinet might not be required as the jumpers are already in place to the fibre cabinet.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 29-Oct-15 10:57:21
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Could it be that those "jumpers" are connecting the original E-side directly to the original D-side totally within the PCP, thus shorting out the more-recent links to the FTTC and back, the latter possibly being simply cut and isolated within the PCP?

That is the line has been upgraded to FTTC/VDSL some time in the past; and to re-establish ADSL connections, short jumpers within the PCP have been used to return to the original "straight-through" PCP connections to permit ADSL functions to be resumed or started?

If it has been done that way, there would be no need to visit the PCP (and/or the FTTC) to install ADSL.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to