General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andso
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:17:59
Print Post

UK Adsl the new dialup...

[link to this post]

So far the previous month and now even worse since this month, my internet service has gone to complete [censored]. As of right now at this time, I'd get a faster more consistent down speed for my internet connection if I used an old 56k modem. http://speedof.me/show.php?img=151029083822-118101.png

I used to regularly get consistent and stable 7mbit on this line up until lately, and I've been with this isp for years.

Evenings speeds regularly worse than dialup, where I can't even load up a page for minutes. For months I'd used to get a burst speeds that would be higher than 2mbit during peak hours during daytime, but after about a minute they would come down to sub 2mbit, but that was generally ok, as offpeak and evenings my internets speeds would go upto 7mbit, and for offpeak hours I could get most large downloads done overnight. (dunno the how ppl like the poor sub 100gb usage limits a month? Steam game downloads and updates alone chew up usage limits like that in no time let alone other people using the line in the house)

So in the last month, speeds have taken a nose dive.. and especially in the last 2 weeks, speeds have been completely abysmal all hours of the day and night.....

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=151029074836-118092.png
http://speedof.me/show.php?img=151022042739-116142.png (lastweek)
http://speedof.me/show.php?img=151022042335-116138.png (lastweek)
http://speedof.me/show.php?img=151022042127-116136.png (lastweek)

This is what my router shows for status (my other router show similar/exact sync speeds)...
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 7616
Max Rate (Kbps) 1024 9472
SNR Margin (dB) 21 16
Line Attenuation (dB) 4 4.8
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

For 3weeks I have never seen 7mbit download anymore since my last billing period. Cannot even play multiplayer games with sub 20kb networking because speeds fluctuating from 0k- 30k and sometimes 150kb, its just generally [censored] speeds all day and night aswel now.

I've tried 2 different routers, and 2 different microfilters upto the test socket, with no change in poor line speeds at all, its not anyone else using the wireless other other pc's in the house. It seems this problem of line capacity or whatever is causing this bottlenet/ bandwidth throttling seems to definetely be an issue outside of my internal wiring and setup. And more External todo with my ISP and/or a BT issue.

In the 20+ emails back and forth and multiple phone calls I've had with there staff in the last 2week+ now. I would love to post the all the correspdance I've had with this isp.. including the phone call at 10pm where I couldn't even load up any website and was getting a trickle of internet for an hour before phoning there support...and when asked on the phone todo a speedtest for them I wasn't able to because the speed test site was barely loading... however 2mins after putting the phone down while they did there own tests, I was able to get 2mbit speedtest done... they've gone from blaming my poor internet speeds on my line usage, to blaming my internal wiring setup for poor speeds. All the while saying that they've contacted BT and they've confirmed there is nothing wrong with my line at all.

Unfortunately I do not trust this ISP anymore, they have suggested that I cough up a 'refunable' overpriced rippoff of £180 before they organize an SFI visit, though later they themselves have said that given what I've told them, and tested, the SFI would not result in finding anything wrong with my internal wiring and I would lose the money. I dont feel like taking a gample on 'refundable' £180 just to lose it because an engineer gets an acceptable 2mbit burst download on a speedtest, when most the time the really abysmal speeds start in the evenings (even now at 11pm its bad) when an SFI visit cannot be booked for. Nevermind the fact average dl speeds I get are sub 50kb overal. From a line that used to get 7mbit without problems for years.

I could never get a straight answer or exact details on what part of the SFI visit would result in me getting the rippoff fee or not... but from my own view this issue of line speed is definitely external. As during the day I could get a download speedtest of around 2mbit, though a download anywhere else would soon see that burst 2mbit go down to sub 100/50kb after less than 1minute. And if its my ISP lying about throttling etc even less reason to trust them.

Here a few emails sent to me from my isp regarding this issue... no particular order....
-------------------------------------
I will reiterate that there is no throttling or traffic shaping being applied to your line. None.

Your line is busy however and regularly downloads 100gb+ per month. Such traffic on your line will adversely affect any speed test results. You may want to look at what is using/causing this.

An SFI is a visit by an Openreach engineer to try & identify faults on a line. This is checked from the exchange or cabinet up to the main socket in your property if a fault isn't identified up to there, then the charge will be applied.
-------------------
We buy connectivity from m BT who are the only provider at your ecchange. As such the traffic levels available at your exchange is reliant on them

That being said we would normally see packet loss or latency on a long no if there was any form of congestion. The graphs of your line do not show this and we have no other reports off slowness currently open.

That said we don't have any other customers at your exchange so it's possible the first said is bt related at your exchange.

If this is the case we would need full results from a BT speed test (click further diagnostics after the test has completed.

If this shows a BT issue then we can escalate this to them.

If not there is a limit to what we can do here. An sfi may help but not guaranteed.

With the exchange not having any other backhaul links available to us we have a limited number of options.

It's possible that other suppliers may have alternative links which would bypass the issue or it could simply be that all links are the same.
----------------
It's possible that other nodes on the 20CN network would offer less contention through the BT core but as a smaller ISP we only have one handover point in London.
----------
"To raise this any further we need a speed test which shows a sub 2m speed result. Currently these are all showing above 2m which means that BT wholesale will not accept the last be is at fault.

As we've both said your line is currently on the older c20 (up to 8m service) which means the exchanges have limited atm backhaul.

However as I've said before the point by graphs we have for your line don't show any sign of a capacity issue and the speed tests so far have been ok.

We need to see actual evidence of the issue to escalate this but to date we don't have that.

Now it's possible the issue is centred round the exchange backhaul to some of the BT nodes which would lead to some ISPs seeing an issue and others not. <ISP> is not big enough time connect to more than one node do we cant test that 100%

One option would be to move the line to an alternative Isp which would prove this one way or the other - though again I'd expect more than one report if this was the case - we only have a single report.

This all leaves us a little stuck. An sfi will only test the copper line and this looks fine. And we have nothing as yet to push this further. "
-------------

Whilst we sympathise with the problems you are reporting, we don't believe they're related to the line which we've checked as far as possible (without an SFI visit) with BT o more than one occasion.

As we explained, if you're prepared to pay a refundable deposit for the SFI visit, we can book this and see if the engineer can find anything, but otherwise we have gone as far as we can with this line and can't offer any further help, sorry.
------------
There is no traffic shaping or throttling but if you saturate your line then it will affect YOUR line nothing we are doing is the cause of any speed issues you're seeing.

The choice of an SFI visit is of course your call.
---------------------------------

......I've provided them a dozen speed tests results showing poor speeds way below 2mbit... from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and other such speedtest sites.

Anyway I pay them way to much for the poor service they offer now.

They have no capacity issues so they say, they don't bandwidth throttling so they say, etc, and they've contacted BT openreach and they say nothing is wrong with the line.... yeh... and yet I get worst than dialup speeds, but that's not noticed. There is nothing they can do about my line unless I cough up for the SFI visit.. or somehow get a collection of local residents all with the same problem so they can push it with BT to investigate the problem... or they just lying about what is actually going on.

Guess I'll be looking for a different isp.. maybe go directly to BT they already ripp me off on line rental, maybe there unlimited broadband isn't just doublespeak for enjoy the [censored] speeds if you use more than the download size of GTAV in month? atleast I'll be paying less for the internet service than I do this current ISP, and its the same corporation I get poor internet speeds via there network. Anyway who knows if its a local exchange problem or just blatant targeting by my ISP to give me poor speeds.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:24:47
Print Post

Re: UK Adsl the new dialup...

[re: Andso] [link to this post]

No sign of any ADSL fault from the line stats and one presumes when you used the bt wholesale tester it showed the IP profile appropriate for your connection speed.

Some providers are well known for not buying enough capacity from the old BT Wholesale IPStream Max connection areas so naming the exchange in question might let others step up, or I might be able to find some speed tests during the evenings on different providers to compare.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andso
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:35:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There was a newsletter last month or so it goes to like 2500 residents in the area.. anyway supposedly someone was complaining about of poor internet speeds, and was asking others to contact bt.. I mean they left zero contact info for themselves to actually see how many had contacted bt.. anyway it got thrown out by someone else in the house, wasn't having such incredibly poor speeds last month.. I am now though

I can pm you the exchange area etc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:54:09
Print Post

You are clearly on an ADSL Max connection. It does no harm to tell us which exchange it is - we can hardly identify you from that, but it may help us suggest alternative ISPs.

Equally, it could help us help you if you tell us the ISP. For instance, on ADSL Max Sky and TalkTalk are known to be absolute rubbish. As well as being quite expensive.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 10:08:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The sole cabinet is live for FTTC so presumption is that poster is one of the Exchange Only line postcodes which is a good chunk of the small exchange.

No LLU and no WBC ADSL2+

I think I can see some speed tests you have ran, and then there is http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... which is a lot further out from the exchange, and another but older closer to the exchange http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... but otherwise it is people on cabinet 1 testing their new FTTC lines

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:36:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP must be fairly close, if not next door to the exchange as his stats are reporting 4/4.8 dB attenuation and 20db SNR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Oct-15 12:37:39
Print Post

Can you post a TBB speedtest link from when the performance along with your modem stats immediately afterwards.

M H C

Standard User Andso
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:01:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

And here is what is the speeds are actually like resuming a steam update...

http://imgur.com/gLhTJoc the green bit on the graph is when I just did the tbb speedtest upload test... and rest of the pink is the download resumed from steam ... as you can see its not consistent and avg speed is below 50kb with intermittent dropouts of absolutely no bandwidth.. truly is poor and its like that pretty much all the time now only even worse that dialup in the evenings.

So yeh the isp is named in the speedtest. It is adslmax, as I said before I used to get 7mbit downloads for years.. its only in the last month+ its been getting worse, and now its just really bad. Personally I think it is my isp and they seem pretty comfortable with BT's opinion on my line being absolutely fine.

The exchange is https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAFTN

"otherwise it is people on cabinet 1 testing their new FTTC lines "

they are lucky.. where is cabinet 1?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:09:39
Print Post

And what were te modem stats immediately after the test?

M H C

Standard User Andso
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:18:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

traffic stats or this....
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 7616
Max Rate (Kbps) 1024 9472
SNR Margin (dB) 21 16.1