General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaba
(regular) Thu 29-Oct-15 23:39:30
Print Post

What ISP

[link to this post]

I am have been with Plusnet for a decade or so and I am feeling like a change.
Why ? well I am stuck on a 2gb legacy package and my line is with BT and a 12 month advance purchase. Plusnet want £19.99 a month to upgrade. I have become disenchanted with their "current line speed" because if I have a power cut or reboot at night the line speed drops significantly so I reboot the following day and resync at the higher daytime speed then Plusnet take 3 days to reset the current line speed. So taking both these things together I am looking elsewhere.

My line is very reliable and the quality is particularly good. Using SNR shaping down to 3db I get the following stats :
Connection speed ; 6312
Attenuation : 53.5
Noise : 2.9db

My exchange is SMBWY and my question is if I change to another ISP would they use exactly the same hardware and line in the exchange as well as out to me. This is so that I do get an unexpected speed hit.

I am looking at Zen, Pulse8 and Uno all of whom would offer me an affordable package.
I am assuming they would all use BTW and not LLU because I would be nervous about moving to LLU if different hardware and connections are used. Plus my line is locked to BT at the moment.
FTTC is available here with an estimated 14mb speed. I do not really want to pay the extra cost for such a small increase in speed and anyway I am not a heavy user.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Oct-15 00:09:38
Print Post

Re: What ISP

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

From what you say, your line rental is tied to BT Consumer for a while. How long?

In terms of the connections at the exchange, your choices are between a BT Wholesale-based ISP using the same exchange connection, and TalkTalk or a TalkTalk Business Wholesale reseller with a different connection.

Some but not many ISPs can offer you a TalkTalk Business broadband connection with s "BT" line. TTBB has a good reputation.

I'm not sure where the Plusnet "£19.99" to upgrade comes from. Given your 14Mbps FTTC estimate and that exchange, that doesn't make any sense at all. Please could you give us more detail on what the quote is for?

Importantly - what is your BT bill per period for the line, and your Plusnet cost per month for the broadband?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-15 08:23:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaba:
My exchange is SMBWY and my question is if I change to another ISP would they use exactly the same hardware and line in the exchange as well as out to me.
Yes, unless you move to TalkTalk LLU (or an ISP using TalkTalk Wholesale).

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 09:43:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

PlusNet charge £17.49 for outside low cost area and £2.50 supplement for line rental being via a third party

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-15 22:13:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
PlusNet charge £17.49 for outside low cost area and £2.50 supplement for line rental being via a third party

Yes, thats why I am looking elsewhere. Without a contract it is £2.50 more .
Zen, Uno and Pulse8 seem better value with and without rental.
But I don't want to change to Talktalk's LLU network in case I lose some of my sync speed.
So I just have to find out whether they would use TT or BT's network unless someone here knows this information..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Oct-15 22:15:56
Print Post

Pulse8 usually use TalkTalk LLU where possible so you would need to confirm with them first though

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-15 22:24:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
From what you say, your line rental is tied to BT Consumer for a while. How long?

In terms of the connections at the exchange, your choices are between a BT Wholesale-based ISP using the same exchange connection, and TalkTalk or a TalkTalk Business Wholesale reseller with a different connection.

Some but not many ISPs can offer you a TalkTalk Business broadband connection with s "BT" line. TTBB has a good reputation.

I'm not sure where the Plusnet "£19.99" to upgrade comes from. Given your 14Mbps FTTC estimate and that exchange, that doesn't make any sense at all. Please could you give us more detail on what the quote is for?

Importantly - what is your BT bill per period for the line, and your Plusnet cost per month for the broadband?

Thanks for your interest. I want to change before my line rental deal comes to an end.
As explained in this thread the 19.99GBP is the standard charge here from PN.
It s not really about cost but I am not going to pay Plusnet 20 quid for an ADSL service !
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-15 22:54:29
Print Post

My 20CN exchange has no LLU provision and Pulse8 have another set of prices for my connection:-

http://postimg.org/image/ytz4k4ws5/

frown

Too expensive for me.

plusnet user
  Print Thread

Jump to