General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:14:54
Print Post

BT line Speed derived from ISP line speed?visaversa?neither?

[link to this post]

Question as title really. When I do a BT Performance test it gives me the current speed and the IP Profile which I believe is meant to be the same as the ISP figure for current line speed. I thought I read somewhere that throughput can never be greater than the ISP current line speed so if I have an ordinary speed test of say 5.2 and a ISP current line speed of 5.5 but a BT IP Profile speed of 6.5 is it likely that the ISP current line speed will move up to the BT held IP profile speed of 6.5 or will the BT held IP Profile speed be moved down to match the the ISP current line speed of 5.5?
I guess if I wait 3/4 hours I may be able to answer my own question but as we will then be in night noise period it may be a new ball game.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Oct-15 16:40:13
Print Post

Re: BT line Speed derived from ISP line speed?visaversa?neit

[re: Roldec] [link to this post]

Sync determines the IP Profile.

When the IP Profile changes the ISP should get an automatic notification to change their Current line speed. They usually change it to a fraction below the IP Profile. The ISP change is usually a few hours later and should always be well under 24 hours later.

For whatever reasons, that notification or automatic update of the ISP one can fail. If that happens then the ISP one will stay incorrect until the next IP Profile change, which will only be when you have a re-sync.

Note that a downward IP Profile shift can also fail to update the ISP copy. In which case it is the IP Profile that determines the maximum throughput. It is always the lower of the two, as BT Wholesale limit it to the IP Profile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Roldec
(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:01:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you
That clears that up and good news is ISP figure has gone up overnight so rein, noise
thunder, bad joints, leaves on the track,dlm permitting my throughput should be better. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:29:08
Print Post

[re: Roldec] [link to this post]

Great.

It's worth adding, I should have said that if the auto-update fails the ISP can obviously set their version correctly. If you get hold of someone in support who understands the issue.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to