General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-15 16:54:00
Print Post

Bonded ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm in the annoying position of having an Exchange Only Line on a Fibre Enabled Exchange (Bridge of Weir) and following some enquiries, doesn't sound at all like anything is being done about new cabinets or other solutions in the near future.

We already have two phone lines (throwback to the dial up days) and I would like to look into a bonded line as I work from home and could do with the additional bandwidth.

Could anyone recommend any ISPs or other providers who have a managed bonded service i.e. Supply the broadband, supply and configure a suitable router, provide support etc.

I'm aware that this will cost more than fibre and I am willing to pay a bit more for the service than the basic costs of two lines (rental + broadband service), off the top of my head budget would be around £100 a month so would appreciate any suggestions of anyone who might be good for this sort of service?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 02-Nov-15 16:54:52
Print Post

Re: Bonded ADSL

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

I believe AAISP offer that.
https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Bonding

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 02-Nov-15 16:55:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:08:40
Print Post

An alternative:-
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/1412-bonded...

Talks about the difference between bonding and load balancing, but goes on to say they can bond lines from different suppliers.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:08:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks will take a look.

Should also add, no Virgin service here either, despite one of their trunk cables 200m away, teasing me frown
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:12:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just spoke with AAISP and they are actually fairly reasonable for price and can bond a BT and a TalkTalk line together (in fact said that was better for reliability) so think it looks a good option. Only slight downside is the router they supply is quite expensive but can get me own if I prefer.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 17:22:58
Print Post

I found that on a simple FTTC line the ZyXel router they offer is worth having, as they have a good relationship with the manufacturer and the list of fixes they got made is impressive. Also of course, they know it inside out if you have a problem.

I expect the same applies with their bonding one. Possibly particularly important with using two wholesaler providers.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-15 19:16:08
Print Post

Does the router have two ADSL ports, one for each line? Or do you need two modems and a router?

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Nov-15 19:24:22
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

?
Did you mean to ask me that? As I haven't got a relevant router. Mine is what they supply for a single FTTC line.

Plus, I forgot to say, a lot of the mods they requested from ZyXel were done before AAISP decided to make it their default offering.

I was simply pointing out to the OP, (using mine as an example of their thoroughness), that although the AAISP suggested one for him may be expensive, it could be a wiser investment than something cheaper from elsewhere smile.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 02-Nov-15 19:26:25)

Standard User chris21
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 06:54:16
Print Post

Hi

There are lots of options for bonding -- main difference i found was very different approaches to hardware costs vs bonding costs vs broadband service costs so it took a bit of effort in making comparisons.

I went with AASIP and their hardware cost around 1000 so I'm locked in now but I would probably go with Uno if I was starting again.

Other providers with similar services from memory were vivaciti, fido, managed comms, shared band.

Chris
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Tue 03-Nov-15 09:21:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An alternative:-
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/1412-bonded...

Talks about the difference between bonding and load balancing, but goes on to say they can bond lines from different suppliers.

It's essentially tunnel/vpn based bonding.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to