General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshirejames
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-15 22:11:10
Print Post

Virgin.net email settings with another ISP

[link to this post]

Hi

Hope that this is in the right forum

I have a friend who used a virgin.net email address in MS Outlook but uses EE as his ISP

His email works fine with the incoming mail server set to Virgin and outgoing set to EE.

However he also travels with his laptop and this only allows him to send email when he is connected to a EE connection

Can anyone advice how best to resolve this?

Thanks

James
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-15 22:22:27
Print Post

Re: Virgin.net email settings with another ISP

[re: cheshirejames] [link to this post]

Use Virgin's outgoing server, not EE's.

Oliver.
Standard User cheshirejames
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-15 22:32:20
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Virgin's outgoing servers seem blocked with EE..........

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-15 22:39:18
Print Post

Is it Port 25 that is blocked for outgoing? That is very common. Virgin will probably have an alternative port they can use. 465 may work. See this page.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-15 23:41:43
Print Post

If your friend hasn't already done so, have your friend set outlook to enable "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and then select either to use the same authentication settings as the incoming server or select a different authentication credentials.

This should resolve the issues when sending emails on the laptop due to using a different ISP.

Basically its detecting the emails being sent on the laptop with another ISP and is just refusing to relay them, i.e. it thinks your somebody else.

We had the same issue here when we went from a Static IP to a Dynamic IP when we moved from Zen to BT, we received all the emails fine due to Outlook was already setup to log us in for the incoming emails (POP3) however by default Outlook isn't setup to authenticate the user for the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) and by enabling that it now works fine no matter what our IP or provider is.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Fri 06-Nov-15 14:23:32
Print Post

When my daughter was at uni I set up her laptop to use Google SMTP servers on port 587.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Nov-15 19:13:04
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
When my daughter was at uni I set up her laptop to use Google SMTP servers on port 587.

Virgin mailboxes used to be hosted by Google but not any more, so that approach won't work without setting up a Gmail address and adding the virgin.net address as a third party sending account.

smtp.virgin.net, port 465, ssl enabled, outgoing authentication enabled should do the job here.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Nov-15 23:50:58
Print Post

That is the usual issue with the EE network. EE blocks all other Port 25 SMTPs.

Use instead Virgin's authenticated Port 465 SMTP, smtp.virginmedia.com, with SSL Authenticated by the same as Incoming.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 26-Nov-15 10:06:46
Print Post

I'm on Virgin here and my settings are
Outgoing mail:smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
port:465
This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is ticked.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
  Print Thread

Jump to