General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 10-Nov-15 14:03:13
Print Post

Re: Market A pricing on FTTC

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

You still miss the point, or are wriggling to justify something you said that is completely incorrect.

Both Zen and Plusnet have two charging structures. The Plusnet one is based on Market A or Market B. The Zen one is based on the presence or absence of WBC.

There is no direct relationship between Market A/B classification and WBC/not-WBC.

Market A can have WBC, so Plusnet would be high but Zen low. Market B can fail to have WBC, so Plusnet would be low but Zen high. Comparing the ADSL prices as you did at the beginning is therefore invalid.

That fact that Plusnet charge a premium for FTTC in Market A appears to be not driven by BT Wholesale pricing, as Zen and probably most or all others do not charge such a premium. But the whole question of that has absolutely nothing to do with Zen's differential pricing structure for "up to 8Mbps" ADSL.
In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Zen can be used for comparison, since on ADSL they have different pricing for Market A and Market B ....
That is simply not the case. It is wrong; it is incorrect; it is untrue; it is a dead parrot.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 10-Nov-15 14:04:06)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 14:19:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Market A can have WBC, so Plusnet would be high but Zen low. Market B can fail to have WBC, so Plusnet would be low but Zen high. Comparing the ADSL prices as you did at the beginning is therefore invalid.

It's perfectly valid because the exchange in question is both Market A and IPSC, so it satisfies both criteria. So maybe Zen charge more because it's IPSC and Plusnet charge more because it's Market A. The key point here is that they both charge more for ADSL.

Then we look at the next exchange, Market B and WBC, again satisfying both criteria, but this time Zen do not charge more for VDSL and Plusnet do. So by the reasoning given in this thread, Zen charge less here because FTTC can use WBC at the head-end exchange. Plusnet also have this, and in addition it's Market B, i.e. no justification for the increased price.

Or do you just want to beat me over the head with the fact that I said that Zen charge more on Market A for the sake of it, even though the exchange is also IPSC so both criteria for pricing differentials were satisfied here and it makes no difference to my original point on Pluset's pricing structure? If so, that's a bit petty.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Tue 10-Nov-15 14:21:18)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 14:24:09
Print Post

And yes, I do tend to assume IPSC where Market A is concerned because the exchanges around here are all like that. In hindsight I should have added IPSC into the discussion earlier, but as I say the exchange is both Market A and IPSC.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 10-Nov-15 15:28:42
Print Post

I'm not sure Plusnet have actually implemented Market A/B. Do you happen to know?

The reasons I ask are that if they haven't, they may still be applying Market 1 rates, and if they have the question arises as to whether or not they have revised the price for existing customers at such exchanges.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Nov-15 15:29:58
Print Post

All depends on the contract they have signed with BT Wholesale, which can have volume discounts applied and there may be nuances that are not obvious.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 10-Nov-15 17:11:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd forgotten that aspect, but yes. They clearly had something like that under the 1/2/3 scheme, as it started at cheaper on Market 3 then changed to 2 and 3.

But they are charging a £7.50pm premium for FTTC outside "low cost" areas, which doesn't sound right.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 10-Nov-15 17:15:19)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 17:41:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure Plusnet have actually implemented Market A/B. Do you happen to know?

Certainly the exchange which has never had LLU or WBC is either Market 1 under the old classification or Market A under the new one, and Plusnet price it higher than Market 3/Market B. Whether Plusnet are using Market 1/2/3 rules or Market A/B rules I don't know, but they are using one of them, or maybe like Zen it is based on WBC availability.

I've never actually checked out an exchange with WBC and no LLU but if someone knows of one I'd be interested since I'd like to compare the Zen pricing on it to the Plusnet pricing. Does anyone know of one?

Oliver.
Standard User armistice
(learned) Tue 10-Nov-15 18:36:54
Print Post

Just to throw my 2p in.

I'm on Plusnet FTTC paying 7.50 month premium. My exchange is Market A, was 1.
In the last month or so, ADSL2 has become available so I assume its been WBC enabled.

I have previously posted on here asking why the plusnet non low cost area premium is due on FTTC connections, when there doesn't appear to be an increased cost to plusnet.

My understanding/assumption was that since my exchange didnt (when i got fttc) have WBC the fibre cabinet was being fed from another exchange in the area (which was WBC / unbundled / market B). This makes the price premium even more disappointing.

Its soon my time to renegotiate or move.

I really don't get plusnets pricing, the whole 40/20 (Which I'm on) was a ridiculous idea imho and demonstrates the price charged doesn't relate to costs incurred.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 19:33:37
Print Post

[re: armistice] [link to this post]

The only reason I can think of is that selling fibre at £22.49 to a Market A customer who is currently paying £17.99 (I think?) for ADSL is a reasonable increment for the improved service. Were they to learn that they should be paying £14.99 they might be reasonably unhappy, but chances are they will never know this and so the upsell to fibre becomes possible at the inflated price.

By the way can you mention or PM me the name of your exchange please? I'm interested to do a price comparison on WBC enabled exchange which has never had LLU.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 19:57:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
By the way can you mention or PM me the name of your exchange please? I'm interested to do a price comparison on WBC enabled exchange which has never had LLU.

Actually no need now, just found one.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to